It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Home meal delivery services.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:57 pm 

Mom and i are discussing trying some of the services that deliver the groceries and recipes to your home weekly. They are rather expensive but, between us, we could probably swing it if we really wanted to. Have you, or do you know anybody that has, tried any of these?

I have "Plated", "Blue Apron", and "Hello Fresh" up to consider. They all seem to cost close to the same amount. You must order two meals per week, or... as i was told by a rep, you could order one meal for 4 and it would be equivalent to 2 meals. :idea: Hmmm. I went to look at that and it said for "2" people you have to order at least THREE meals per week! sigh

Post subject: Re: Home meal delivery services.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 pm 

I've LOOKED at them - but they seem to charge pretty much the same price as a restaurant meal - and *I* would have to cook it! What is the advantage over buying my own groceries? WHY would I pay three times as much to have someone else buy my groceries for me? (I actually don't mind grocery shopping - and even if my meals were delivered, I'd still have to go the the grocery to get pharmaceuticals, paper goods, sodas, etc)

I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:40 am 

I just saw a commercial for "Home chef" so that's another one they have.

Dd wants to try one but we haven't so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:52 am 

Well, it IS pricey. I don't want to sign up for a twice-a-week plan! As for the why - for us it's because we like to experiment! And if you need an odd spice or ingredient you get just enuf for the meal. One of our major fridge problems is having so many condiment things - different oils and vinegars and dressings and mustards and such. Getting just enuf for the recipe sounds very nice! I don't need 16 oz of "banana catsup", for example! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:54 am 

Tory wrote:
I just saw a commercial for "Home chef" so that's another one they have.

Dd wants to try one but we haven't so far.

I think i've checked out about 8 or so. I decided on 3 to really look into. If i try one, it will be one that is easy to work with - answers questions quickly, has contact numbers, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:56 am 

I have heard about them, but could never see myself doing it. I never understood the point. There is a local service that I AM interested in, though: curbside service. Walmart does it and the grocery store chain that we shop at is starting to do it, too. You order your groceries only, THEY do the shopping for you, you pull up and they load it into your car, FOR FREE! Well, at Walmart it's free, the other store charges $5, but I would gladly pay it! If they would just hop into my car and come home with me and cook it, too! :lol:

As a busy mom of 4, I could really use that service. Unfortunately, the grocery store in our town hasn't started it yet, it's just the ones in bigger cities, but I'm sitting here waiting for it, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:03 am 

Sis wrote:
Well, it IS pricey. I don't want to sign up for a twice-a-week plan! As for the why - for us it's because we like to experiment! And if you need an odd spice or ingredient you get just enuf for the meal. One of our major fridge problems is having so many condiment things - different oils and vinegars and dressings and mustards and such. Getting just enuf for the recipe sounds very nice! I don't need 16 oz of "banana catsup", for example! LOL

I guess that makes sense. Doing it because you want to, not necessarily to save money or time. I guess if you like to make new things and like to experiment, it could be fun to have something just come to your door and you make it. I guess that's the point. I mostly just avoid recipes with random ingredients I don't use often, so I don't end up with a bunch of extra, but I'm not big on experimenting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:25 am 

Sis wrote:

Dd likes to try new things, too! She got a few "graze" boxes before. Most of their stuff was good, but to me not enough, they are small snack size portions. I wanted more than that! Lol!

It would be fun to have a box delivered and not know the contents, then have to fix it. I tend to fall into a rut with my food. Dd likes to try anything new .. But it gets expensive to buy an entire bottle of something and then never use it again, or not like it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:37 am 

I know a single teacher who uses Blue Apron. She has no time to plan and cook for one. She says the meals for one, can easily stretch for three. These services are more than likely targeting professional singles or couples who are tired of eating out.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:05 am 

Sis wrote:

Banana Catsup is a Philippine ingredient! I used to eat it regularly there. After I got back home, I tried Filipino food at a festival and asked, "Where did you get your Banana Catsup?! They said "We just used sweet & sour sauce!"

If you look on "Cook's Thesaurus" (and ask us : ) you usually don't have to buy a huge variety of different bottles - just use something you have : )

Special oils, vinegars, and mustards are usually unnecessary if you have a small sampling at home to chose from : )