It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:44 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Home meal delivery services.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:55 pm 

Good points! I don't even like to eat out lol. There are only a few places dh can talk me into wanting to go. I just also don't like being a short order cook then cleaning it all up. :lol: Dh and ds also aren't real keen on experimental meals. They would rather have their known favorites. Dh has to eat at certain regular times due to diabetes. If I didn't have to always have dinner at 5 I might like cooking better! I don't mind cooking for just me because I'm easy to please. Trying to please all of us with the same meal gets frustrating!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:37 am 

coastal Carol wrote:
LisaTX wrote:
I have heard about them, but could never see myself doing it. I never understood the point. There is a local service that I AM interested in, though: curbside service. Walmart does it and the grocery store chain that we shop at is starting to do it, too. You order your groceries only, THEY do the shopping for you, you pull up and they load it into your car, FOR FREE! Well, at Walmart it's free, the other store charges $5, but I would gladly pay it! If they would just hop into my car and come home with me and cook it, too! :lol:

As a busy mom of 4, I could really use that service. Unfortunately, the grocery store in our town hasn't started it yet, it's just the ones in bigger cities, but I'm sitting here waiting for it, lol.

Lisa, I do this online grocery shopping and it is AWESOME! Our WM doesn't do it yet but several grocery stores do for a small fee, $4.95 here. I heard Publix does it free but you still have to go in and check out, no curb service, but one is not convenient to me. The grocery I use charges a small fee but I usually shop once a month, sometimes twice if they have free shopper deals. Dh does make occasional stops at WM for bread, milk, some produce in between trips but I greatly prefer my grocery to WM for produce. They regularly offer free personal shopper deals, and regularly send out $10 off $50 order coupons. It is so worth it to me. I detest shopping lol. It's nice to stay on budget too because you see exactly what your total is as you add items to your cart and you are not picking up extra items while in the store because you never go in! You can see the weekly sale flyer and other items not shown in the flyer have sale prices in red so you can tell easily what's on sale this week. They accept coupons and all that. I have no complaints about any of the meats or produce they have ever picked for me. If they are out of a sale item, they will call you and offer to sub a brand of equal or greater value but at the sale price and ask if you need to add anything to your order that you forgot. They have always upgraded to a better brand than the one I was asking for. I'm very frugal lol. I rave about this to everyone but most people just look at me like I have 3 heads lol. I've been doing this maybe 5 years and it is awesome! The stores here offer the personal shopper service free the first time you try it, so check out your stores and you may get to try it for free :)

So, this is through your grocery store? We only have two grocery stores nearby, Walmart and HEB. The Walmart here already does the curbside service, but not the HEB. I don't think they have any kind of personal shopper service, but I will check. We're loyal to HEB, so I don't shop at Walmart for groceries, unless it's something I can't get at HEB. Not even for the personal shopping and curbside service, lol. I did contact HEB awhile back and said I'm waiting for curbside service to come here, and they told me they're starting with the major cities, so who knows when it will get here.

I don't necessarily hate shopping. There's just many other things I could be doing with that time. The things I don't like, are having to go back for missed items, trying to add things up as I go along and getting distracted, fussy children who refused their naps, dealing with people, having to load everything onto the belt, the awkwardness while you just stand there as they ring everything up, bag it and load it back into your cart, while you don't know where to look because you don't want to just stare at the checker, but you don't want to look behind you and see how many people are impatiently waiting for you, and you're worrying that you're off by about $100 on your price estimation, and you worry that maybe you really only have $0 in your bank account and your card will be declined, and then the people behind you will really hate you. And then the checker starts talking to you while you're trying to pay and you have to decide if you want to pay or listen to them, because you can't do both at the same time, can't they see that? Yeah, I wouldn't miss any of those things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:04 pm 

I wish we had a HEB! I've been in them in Texas before. I hate going in WM. Dh will stop in on his way home from work for bread and milk and sometimes some produce between my grocery trips but I buy as little as possible there. The next closest grocery to us is old and dirty and in a bad area I won't go in there. The one I order my groceries from is a few miles further but worth the drive. Supposed to be getting a Lidl grocery not too far away but I don't know anything about them yet. My mom loves the personal shopper. She calls and gives me her list, we do her order and put it in, and she doesn't have to get out of her car to get her groceries. She sometimes goes to a small chain store that still has young men that take the groceries out to the car but she has to go in to shop for them.

Lol, all this makes me think back to when gas stations had a full service option along with self service! I hardly ever used it but when it was pouring rain, freezing cold or I was ready to burst pregnant it was really nice to pull up and get a little gas full service to tide me over!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:19 pm 

Lol, all this makes me think back to when gas stations had a full service option along with self service! I hardly ever used it but when it was pouring rain, freezing cold or I was ready to burst pregnant it was really nice to pull up and get a little gas full service to tide me over!

Yes, the service was nice. Checked your oil, washed your windshield, topped off your water. But, every gas station i knew of had playb0y caleddars right inside their garage. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:32 pm 

Yes! I'd forgotten they cleaned the windshield and the other things!

I don't remember anything about inside lol. The one we used was a small station and the little area where you went in to pay was tiny. Seems like it had a couple chairs and the cash register and that was about it. Obviously their service area wasn't very big either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:32 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:
I wish we had a HEB! I've been in them in Texas before. I hate going in WM. Dh will stop in on his way home from work for bread and milk and sometimes some produce between my grocery trips but I buy as little as possible there. The next closest grocery to us is old and dirty and in a bad area I won't go in there. The one I order my groceries from is a few miles further but worth the drive. Supposed to be getting a Lidl grocery not too far away but I don't know anything about them yet. My mom loves the personal shopper. She calls and gives me her list, we do her order and put it in, and she doesn't have to get out of her car to get her groceries. She sometimes goes to a small chain store that still has young men that take the groceries out to the car but she has to go in to shop for them.

Lidl is WONDERFUL! You'll love it! : )

It's like Aldi, but also has a full bakery, and lots more specialty items like fancy cheeses.

We shop at Lidl when we travel - the prices are great, and we love the selection : )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:50 pm 

I don't mind shopping if I'm buying just for me. I do not like buying a full two weeks worth of groceries for a family!!

My late dh spoiled me. He LOVED grocery shopping.. Because he loved food! He enjoyed looking at things and planning each meal... He enjoyed the whole experience of bringing the items home and putting them away.

One thing I really had to learn after he passed was to schedule regular grocery trips. Lol! One time DC and I were outside sitting around the fire pit when Ds asked when we were going to get milk? So... Around mid night I was driving to the store to get milk with all 3 kids in tow. I felt like the world's worst mother. :lol:

How great it would have been to have the call ahead convenience back then!