It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Backwards house inventory.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:47 pm 

I was looking up different things on decluttering and organizing and came across an article with a little different slant. It said to go to a coffee shop or somewhere away from the house, and start with "what SHOULD be in each room". Rather than going thru all your stuff and trash/give away/sell it, see if it's something on your list and if it's not - out it goes.

I'm not seeing how that works so i doubt it's for me! Does it seem like a doable option to you?

Post subject: Re: Backwards house inventory.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:54 pm 

I would never DO it, but I GET it ; )

When we travel, sometimes at the end of our stay, I'll think to myself, "Now, I have all the NECESSITIES where I am. Sufficient clothing (1 suitcase) Furnished house, dishes, kitchen pots & pans, etc. What is there at home that I would MISS if it just wasn't there?"

Often, my mental list is pretty short!

The last time we traveled, DD really missed her play kitchen with all its accessories. But she barely thought of her other toys. That's a great de-cluttering hint! When we returned, I packed up 25 boxes of her stuff & made a deal with her. I'd pay her a dollar a box on the condition that she not look in the boxes & I tried to only pack stuff that I was pretty sure she wouldn't miss (which is to say, the kitchen stuff was kept for sure!).

So far, several months on, it seems to have worked pretty well :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:57 pm 

Well no. I wouldn't be able to remember everything that I should keep... So I would end up having to go through everything anyway! However, a nice quiet time in a coffee shop sounds nice! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:29 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

When we travel, sometimes at the end of our stay, I'll think to myself, "Now, I have all the NECESSITIES where I am. Sufficient clothing (1 suitcase) Furnished house, dishes, kitchen pots & pans, etc. What is there at home that I would MISS if it just wasn't there?"

The last time we traveled, DD really missed her play kitchen with all its accessories. But she barely thought of her other toys. That's a great de-cluttering hint! When we returned, I packed up 25 boxes of her stuff & made a deal with her. I'd pay her a dollar a box on the condition that she not look in the boxes & I tried to only pack stuff that I was pretty sure she wouldn't miss (which is to say, the kitchen stuff was kept for sure!).

TWENTY-FIVE BOXES!!!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:30 pm 

Tory wrote:
Well no. I wouldn't be able to remember everything that I should keep... So I would end up having to go through everything anyway! However, a nice quiet time in a coffee shop sounds nice! ;)

Yep - ditto. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:35 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

TWENTY-FIVE BOXES!!!!! :shock:

:D

Yeah - it SOUNDS like a lot, but when you pack to move & start putting your stuff in boxes, most folks discover they have WAYYY more boxes than they imagined! And, those 25 boxes weren't all HERS - just many of them. We also shipped off some general household stuff : )