It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: I'm retired too!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 pm 

SoCalPam wrote:
I'm retired, too. My oldest son just graduated high school (with honors!). Shameless bragging: he also earned his Eagle Scout award, worked an average of 25 hours/week at a local hardware store, and attended his first year of college, where he took two classes each semester toward his goal of becoming a firefighter.

Whew.

We put #2 son in public school this year (first time ever) for his first year of high school. He ended up on the track team with a 4.53 GPA, all in honors classes. Next year he's going for a couple of AP classes.

Whew again.

Because of our finances, I had to leave the home and go out to work. #2 was getting the short end of the stick, although I guess we did well enough for him to do a great job at school! We bypassed our local school in favor of another, and it was an excellent decision for us all.

Kind of hard to leave... I've been working a variety of jobs, including two years as a kindergarten aide at a local school. The teacher I work with goes to my church and we know many of the same folks, so that's fun.

I've been building my decluttering business + helping out families who need an extra pair of hands (Mom with MS, 94-year-old grandma living at home, etc.). I've been walking dogs, doing laundry, writing PR, you-name-it to earn a buck. I told the Lord I'd say "Yes" to everything that came my way, and He has been very creative in His offerings.

Hubby is mostly retired, although he does some freelance ad/marketing work. He has two books on Amazon.com now (Phillip J. Powers), and we're hanging in there.

I just took a part-time job with an organic produce company that puts garden boxes and raised beds in people's yards so they can grow organic food. Many of them have never gardened before, ever, so it's kind of like homeschooling. I had to explain to one man the difference between the beets and carrots in one of his garden boxes. Oh my. I got one mom on the line who will begin homeschooling this fall, and we had a nice long chatty talk about it. She was excited to find a mentor close by because she says in her neighborhood they're "that family". I know what she means.

Old homeschoolers never die... they live on to encourage others. I've even gotten to my sister!!! She'll be schooling her 2nd grader for the first time this fall. I've given her TONS of books. :roll:

Wonderful to see you, again!!!!!!!!!