It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Is this "normal"?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:10 am 

My 85yo mom and I were in a local store and a man was coming toward us. He said "I suppose you're looking for some camo?". She said sure and laughed it off. He stopped and she asked him how tall he was (he towered over us). He said he was 5'7" when he got up in the morning. :mrgreen: Then he put both hands on mom's shoulders and told her she was beautiful!

I was a bit dumbfounded but it seems this is the type of behavior my mom has experienced all her life!

Post subject: Re: Is this "normal"?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:27 am 

If she's experienced it all her life, I guess it's "normal" for her! : )

It sounds like she's a very approachable, friendly person.

Dr. Larry Crabb, in his book "Inside Out" (which you've heard me recommend here before) talks about how different people "pull" the people around them to react to them in different ways. And why we do that. Some of us have an intimidating demeanor, some have an mousy demeanor, some a "loud" demeanor, etc.

To illustrate, I'm ALWAYS reading online stories of people who have a constant stream of strangers criticizing their parenting choices - often the same choices that I myself make - like homeschooling. But, I almost NEVER have a stranger comment negatively to me on such a personal matter (at least, not since DD gave up the binky - there WERE some folks who made a scene about that! :roll: ) But, there must be something about my demeanor that discourages complete strangers from this sort of input MOST of the time. I'm not sure what it IS about me? Maybe I look like I'd deck 'em if they got out of line? ;)