It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Uh oh. Mom fell.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:11 am 

Her legs seem to Be getting worse. They've been numb for a long time but one she feels like her left leg is floppy and doesn't even hold her up. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Uh oh. Mom fell.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:39 am 

Floppy?

Make sure you check for stroke symptoms - don't just ignore it.

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/200302 ... ose-stroke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:07 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Floppy?

Make sure you check for stroke symptoms - don't just ignore it.

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/200302 ... ose-stroke

Well, too late NOW! LOL She's had strokes and she said it wasn't a stroke. I suppose they could all be different tho', so i'm not ruling that out. She has neuropathy. That's one of the things that can happen with neuropathy. We NEED to get her in to establish a doctor. I wish i was willing to let her see our NP here in town. Life would be much easier. BUT... not.

She has a date to go for a ride in a Harley side car today! She's looking forward to that! LOL What a nut. She enjoyed dh's riskier driving, too. I think she's a bit of a dare devil and is tired of the sedate life she's been living. I've heard her tell people she was becoming a hermit in her apartment and now she wants to go everywhere with us. At least til winter hits. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:19 am 

What do you mean "too late?" - the first couple hours after a stroke is the prime treatment time - diagnosis in the first couple hours can make a huge difference - and the online test I linked to is super easy.

Did this happen yesterday?

Yes, they can all be different.

And, folks who have had one tend to have more - and a minor one can precede a major one (they run in my family - I have the misfortune of knowing lots about them)

Hope she enjoys the sidecar ride. *I'm* too old for that stuff! ; )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
What do you mean "too late?" - the first couple hours after a stroke is the prime treatment time - diagnosis in the first couple hours can make a huge difference - and the online test I linked to is super easy.

And, folks who have had one tend to have more - and a minor one can precede a major one (they run in my family - I have the misfortune of knowing lots about them)

Yes, it happened yesterday afternoon. I have a monitor in her room so I can hear her from downstairs but she was in the livingroom and actually caught herself on the BRICK hearth! :? Would a baby aspirin help as a first line of help? It could be nearly an hour before I could get her to the hospital/Doctor. And, where should I take her if I suspected a stroke? I wonder if our PN here in town would have he drug/s used for that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:29 am 

Find out what she remembers about the fall. Was she simpling stumbling over her own feet? On a toy.. a dog? Or was it more of a ... dont remember just kind of blacked out and fell? Ther's a difference.
My aunt got up to turn on the light and that was all she recalled before her stroke.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:53 am 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

Yes, it happened yesterday afternoon. I have a monitor in her room so I can hear her from downstairs but she was in the livingroom and actually caught herself on the BRICK hearth! :? Would a baby aspirin help as a first line of help? It could be nearly an hour before I could get her to the hospital/Doctor. And, where should I take her if I suspected a stroke? I wonder if our PN here in town would have he drug/s used for that.

Yesterday afternoon means that the urgency has passed.

A regular baby aspirin might be a good idea, if her doc approves.

If she ever has a stroke that fails the test I linked to, the best course of action is to call an ambulance (since you're so far from the hospital). There is an injectable after-stroke med that can greatly reduce the damage from a stroke. http://www.cdc.gov/stroke/treatments.htm

If your Mom is indigent, they'll take care of her for free. Just when you take her to the hospital, describe her as a friend (given that you have no legal relationship ; )

Contrary to Democrat propaganda, the poor in this country get VERY good healthcare in emergency situations - for free - and have since before the current administration ever touched it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:06 pm 

Tory wrote:
Find out what she remembers about the fall. Was she simpling stumbling over her own feet? On a toy.. a dog? Or was it more of a ... dont remember just kind of blacked out and fell? Ther's a difference.
My aunt got up to turn on the light and that was all she recalled before her stroke.

Her leg didn't hold her up. She can't feel her legs from the knees down (been like that for years) but she's beginning to lose control of them, like not being able to press the brake with the right amount of strength to get it to stop at the right time, and not being able to feel if her leg is in the right place to take the step. She got up off the couch and one leg wasn't "there" for her. She does remember the fall completely.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:48 pm 

With this and other health problems you've mentioned, does she have a spinal problem?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:08 pm 

Not that i know of, Anna.