It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Need ideas for centerpieces
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 am 

My church is having one of it's quarterly get together' s for our women's group. I have to do decorations. Was thinking of using yellow and orange or orange and brown as color scheme. It's not quite fall so don't want to get too heavy toward that season yet but can't really come up with any ideas for decorations. I need to make, buy etc about 7 centerpieces just can't come up with any ideas. Since I have to buy the materials myself they can't cost a lot of money. Was wondering if you guys have any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Need ideas for centerpieces
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm 

Do you have pine cones around? Our area is full of pine cones. Also, I'd add some reds/deep purples to the colors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm 

Hmmmmmm.....I am not so great at this sort of thing, but boy, I have a friend who can make something beautiful out of trash!!!! :lol: No kidding!

Think about what you have in your house and yard that you could use....little bowls or small dishes/plates that you could put a votive candle in/on. Greenery (or whatever is blooming at the moment) from your yard. Mason jars. Scarves (to place in the center with the jar/bowl/candle on top - or the scarf swirled around. Scatter leaves and greenery around.

And I agree with Sis. I like some purple in there, too! :D

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 pm 

For my mom's 60th party, I bought small potted plants from wal mart for about $2 each. I had one for each table.
Then I bought some colored tissue paper and covered the pots and tied a ribbon around to hold in place.
It looked really nice and was cheap! I made sure the floweres were short enough so that people sitting at the table could see over them. It's annoying to have to look around something when talking at a table. You can co-ordinate the flowers/plants and the tissue paper/ribbons to match the theme colors. Each one can be a little different for variety.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 pm 

I still have sunflowers in our yard, so keeping with the yellow and brown theme, you could cut construction paper to look like sunflowers, and put those in the center of the table (laying flat) like a placemat,

you could also make "apples" out of new rolls of toilet paper, what you will need is a piece of red cloth, a stick (for the stem) and a paper leave (something you cut out of construction paper will work) a little bit of cotton, or you can just use some of the tissue wadded up,, *you'll need that to go around the outside of the tissue paper, so you can make it round

After you do that just set the roll of tissue paper in the center of the square, then just sort of fold the cloth up until it looks like a ball, you'll tuck the ends of the cloth into the center, then the stick goes in the center and the leave you can tape onto the stick (it looks nice when it's done, I learned about making these at a womens meeting I went to, and I think I"m making it sound a lot more complicated that it is. )

You can also make paper flowers using a combination of construction paper and tissue paper, and pipe cleaners.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 pm 

I saw another idea at a reception... they had shallow clear glass bowls filled 1/2 way with water. They floated votive candles in the water and lit them. I think there was 3 in each dish.
Around the outside of each bowl they used flowers just placed around, not formally arranged. just to cover the bottom edge of the bowls and to add color.
I've seen similar glass bowls at the dollar store here.
Simple and lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:16 pm 

I just decorated our yearly ladies salad supper. The group's theme is a clematis flower and the color purple. I found a purple mum at Ikea for $1 it had a long pipe cleaner type stem, I curved the bottom and placed it in a wide mouthed mason jar. The tablecloths were those disposable, thin vinyl ones at wallymart for $2. Viola. Very colorful.

Edited to add, I had 12 mason jars and 12 flowers, six of the jars were the centerpiece to the banquet table where the food was.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm 

NCAlyce wrote:
My church is having one of it's quarterly get together' s for our women's group. I have to do decorations. Was thinking of using yellow and orange or orange and brown as color scheme. It's not quite fall so don't want to get too heavy toward that season yet but can't really come up with any ideas for decorations. I need to make, buy etc about 7 centerpieces just can't come up with any ideas. Since I have to buy the materials myself they can't cost a lot of money. Was wondering if you guys have any ideas?

I just googled "Inexpensive centerpieces" and this is what popped up...

http://www.google.com/search?q=inexpens ... 66&bih=643