It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Not my country?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:56 pm 

So, I was reading comments on a FB post about Trump, and someone referred to the U.S. as "My country". A bunch of people told her she had no right to call it her country, and there were a few comments about it being everyone's land and it belonged to the Native Americans first and blah, blah, blah. I was shocked. This is the first time I have ever heard people tell an American citizen that they had no right to call their country, their country. I mean, if the country you are a citizen of, is not your country, then where IS your country? I have always referred to this as my country because this is where I was born and raised and I am a legal citizen. Do citizens of other countries, not call that country THEIR country? What about my hometown? Am I not allowed to call it MY hometown, anymore? Did I miss something?

Post subject: Re: Not my country?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:05 am 

They lack a basic understanding of the English language - that's all. I've heard the same silliness about Churches. You shouldn't say "My Church" because the Church doesn't belong to you. Well, then why do we say "My street" (the street where I live) or "My ball team" (the team I cheer for)? It just shows their lack of understanding.

As for the "American Indian" thing - can they tell to look at her that she's not American Indian? I'm part American Indian, but no one ever thinks so till I till them. Aren't they being intrinsically racist to assume that they know her racial heritage just by looking at her?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:08 am 

So true, Anna. It does seem people are looking for something to "stand for" and there's just not much out there so they grab onto whatever comes their way. 😜

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:04 pm 

I came across a comment somewhere else today, that said we can't call ourselves "Americans", unless we are Native American. So stupid, these people do not belong in this country. I do have Native American in my blood, though I don't think it's a high percentage. I am interested in doing one of those DNA tests, because I'm a "mutt".

But still, it seems they are confusing the land with the country? I'm no history buff. I know the Native Americans were here first (even though I've recently heard that may not be true?), but they were not a country. Our country has a founding date and laws, including what makes a person a citizen. Regardless of how someone feels about how we became a country, we ARE one. So, isn't the whole white-shaming, Native American land-steeling argument, kind of moot? What makes people think they have the right to tell a citizen of a country that it isn't their country, just because that person disagrees with how that country began? It still began and we are still citizens of it. It's alarming that people feel this way about the country they live in, because if they think it's a free for all and they have no appreciation for the uniqueness of our constitution, they will not care to defend it against the evil barbarians who are trying to come over and destroy it. And if they think the "white man" has done bad things, someone needs to introduce them to ISIS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:51 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I came across a comment somewhere else today, that said we can't call ourselves "Americans", unless we are Native American. So stupid, these people do not belong in this country. I do have Native American in my blood, though I don't think it's a high percentage. I am interested in doing one of those DNA tests, because I'm a "mutt".

But still, it seems they are confusing the land with the country? I'm no history buff. I know the Native Americans were here first (even though I've recently heard that may not be true?), but they were not a country. Our country has a founding date and laws, including what makes a person a citizen. Regardless of how someone feels about how we became a country, we ARE one. So, isn't the whole white-shaming, Native American land-steeling argument, kind of moot? What makes people think they have the right to tell a citizen of a country that it isn't their country, just because that person disagrees with how that country began? It still began and we are still citizens of it. It's alarming that people feel this way about the country they live in, because if they think it's a free for all and they have no appreciation for the uniqueness of our constitution, they will not care to defend it against the evil barbarians who are trying to come over and destroy it. And if they think the "white man" has done bad things, someone needs to introduce them to ISIS.

I've heard the same "BS" along the lines that the Native Americans were the first people. Actually, they were not. God's people were the first people and eventually made it into this area before the earth plates separated. Once the continents were truly formed, the "Native Americans" started developing, but they all originated from Europe. I have a little bit of Cherokee blood in me. Regardless, America is my country. I do often hear from immigrants who become legal citizens say, 'Well in my country, we did this or that." Well, I hate to say it, but you are not "from that country" anymore. You are now "from" America as you are a citizen of the US and not a citizen of ......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:56 pm 

LisaTX wrote:

Please watch the documentary, "America, Imagine a World Without Her." It is truly an eye opening documentary. The "White" man did not steal from the Native Americans. The Native Americans store from each other. And throughout history, the "winners" conquered the losers from all races and creeds. So "everyone" on planet earth that has ever lived stole and conquered and enslaved each other. By the time the "white Europeans" came over to America, the Native Americans were stealing and fighting and killing among themselves just like the people of Africa were doing the same to each. Once again, ALL people from every country/race/creed did this to each other since the dawn of time. This is not a new concept. Also, the "White Europeans" did not kill the Native Americans with their "diseases" anymore than the Chinese killed the Europeans with the Bubonic Plaque. The documentary explains this much better than I could do it here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:25 pm 

Yes, I still need to watch that documentary. I think it's on Netflix, or at least it was. Something tells me this is not how it's being taught in schools today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:38 am 

LisaTX wrote:
Yes, I still need to watch that documentary. I think it's on Netflix, or at least it was. Something tells me this is not how it's being taught in schools today.

Yeap, that is the biggest problem.