It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: I want to brag on my cousin today,
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:28 pm 

She just moved into her college dorms this week, her first classes start Tuesday,
*she's eighteen the same age as my daughter.

Anyway, why I want to brag on her is because she has really been through a lot of very hard things in her life, she lost her mother very suddenly in 2010, and there has been a lot of other things too.

But she has done very well, her dad was not in a position to pay for her to attend any school, however she won a scholarship to go to the school shes going to, and had very good grades while she was in highschool, (all through school really) with the exception of the year her mom passed away, her grades slipped a little then, (but not a lot, just enough so that instead of graduating with a 4.0 she ended up with a 3.7)

Anyway, she is in a completely different enviroment and doesn't really know anyone yet, so if you all will please pray that she will get a very nice room mate perferably a Christian roommate, and also that God will keep her safe, and that she will be able to study and do well.

She basically grew up in the country and has not really spent a lot of time in any big cities, so she has a lot of adjusting to do, because while the school she is attending is not extremely huge, it is to her because or where she grew up.

She wants to work for the park service so she will be taking things like wild life biology to start,

Anyway, if you all will please pray for her that God will bless her and keep her safe.

Her dad worries about her, but he doesn't want her to know that, and he didnt tell me that, I just know because of some of the things I've heard him say, so I told him that I'd do what I could to try to surprise her this weekend (which we were able to do today)

When he dropped her off he wasn't able to go up to see her room, because the do not have elevators, (he's crippled) so he didn't get to see her room, so he asked me about it so I told him, she really needs some posters and colour in the room, because it is white, like really white, the ceilings are also really high.

I want to try to get her a rug, and desk lamp and a few other things over the next few weeks. I did tell her dad she needs colour in her room though, because it's the type white that is just really bright. Colour and a rug to soften the bright white would be good, because even the floor is a shade of white, like an off white with a little bit of brown and grey in the pattern.

I did see some of the other arriving students putting down rugs, and setting up desk lamps, and curtains, which made their rooms look more comfortable.

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone know that I'm very proud of my cousin and ask that you all please do keep her in prayer to do well, and to stay safe.

She did tell her dad that she found a church to attend there and did go to church today, which is the first time she's been to church I think since her mom passed away, her dad is not a Christian, so he needs prayer to hurry up and get saved. (I already told him I'm praying for him to get saved, he told me that he didn't guess it would hurt anything,) lol

anyway, my eyes are really tired tonight and I need to go to bed, so talk to you all another time okay. :D

Post subject: Re: I want to brag on my cousin today,
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 am 

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your cousin. What a great thing that you were able to surprise her today, and may be able to give her some creature comforts for her room. Maybe someone can take pictures of her dorm so her dad can see what things look like.

Will be praying. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:44 am 
Site Owner

That's wonderful that she has high ambitions and has overcome all the adversities. :0) Praying that all will go well for her.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm 

Lifting her up in prayer Barbara! How proud you must be. What a fine example of how we can do all thing through Christ who strengthens us!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:07 pm 

Wonderful that she is doing so well - hope college goes great for her! Helping her get in touch with whatever campus ministries match your Faith might be a Spiritual help to her, too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:26 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your cousin. What a great thing that you were able to surprise her today, and may be able to give her some creature comforts for her room. Maybe someone can take pictures of her dorm so her dad can see what things look like.

Will be praying. :)

It is a very good opportunity for her, and she has really worked hard to get where she is, and I do want to get her a few things for her room, because it is really plain, but very white, the walls are painted a bright white, and the walls are made of concrete blocks, she's in one of the older dorms.

The hallways have carpet and are not so bright, they are more of a tan with wood trim, which looks nicer.

She was very surprised when we stopped by, I don't think she's left her room very much yet, she seemed to be staying more to herself.

She is really out of her comfort zone, where she's lived the marjority of her life is out in the country, she can't even see any of her neighbors from where she lived, there are no stores within walking distance, and there is very little traffic.

Where she is now, there are a lot of people, and a lot of traffic. So it's a lot different, from what she's been used to.

She is very smart though and should do well, she was in the top five percent in her class.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get something small this week, like a lamp, then next week something else, then after we pay the rent next month I'm going to try to drop in and surprise her again.

I really do want her to do well, and to stay safe.
I don't want to worry her dad, but I did tell him that she needs colour in her room, because it's really white, and I think it would be helpful for him to know that she does need a few things, because she is unlikely to tell him.

Her dad said he'll be looking for some things to send her, and I hope he does, so I think he got the message that she really needs colour in her room. Because my daughter also told him basically the same thing that I did.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:28 pm 

In a few weeks she will not be the "new" girl to the situation, she will just be in the flow of classes, making more friends, having some fun new experiences. Sounds like she has good common sense. That will take her far. Soon she will be able to be helping others get comfortable in new surroundings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
In a few weeks she will not be the "new" girl to the situation, she will just be in the flow of classes, making more friends, having some fun new experiences. Sounds like she has good common sense. That will take her far. Soon she will be able to be helping others get comfortable in new surroundings.

She does have a good head on her shoulders, and I think she'll do well. I'll be glad when I am able to go see her again in a few weeks, hopefully by that time she will have made some friends, and become more adjusted to her new home. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:42 pm 

my dd's dorm rooms are like that. We found that a colorful comforter went a long way to help and some posters or even family pics to put on the wall. You can buy stickers that can be removed at the end of the year to put on the walls to help hold posters and such up. My dd also had 4, 5 in square cork boards that she put up with the stickers and then put colorful pics and saying on it. A husband would probably be a great present (not the kind you marry but the kind you put on your bed and rest in an upright position on), they can add color too. Both my kids have husbands and they love them because they can relax and still sit up especially to study or work on the computer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm 

NCAlyce wrote:
my dd's dorm rooms are like that. We found that a colorful comforter went a long way to help and some posters or even family pics to put on the wall. You can buy stickers that can be removed at the end of the year to put on the walls to help hold posters and such up. My dd also had 4, 5 in square cork boards that she put up with the stickers and then put colorful pics and saying on it. A husband would probably be a great present (not the kind you marry but the kind you put on your bed and rest in an upright position on), they can add color too. Both my kids have husbands and they love them because they can relax and still sit up especially to study or work on the computer.

That's what I'm thinking some colour posters, and a rug that has colour in it, (I'm thinking of different shades of green) *because thats her favorite colour, she doesn't have a corkboard, I'm not sure how she could put one up because the walls are concrete, she can put up posters though with tape, and pictures.
And I was thinking if I can find a beanbag chair for her the reason I thought that would be nice is because that it would not take up very much room, her bed sits up high enough that it could even be stored underneath the bed, but really there is a lot of space in her room so she really wouldn't have to do that. Her dorm room is really big.

I really want to do something nice for her, because she is really trying so hard, and she has not had an easy road to travel. I want to try to take her shopping for a couple of new outfits before too long, because I think she would like that.

Anyways I really just want her to be happy and safe, and to do well. (She's the same age as my daughter so she's more like a daughter or niece to me than a cousin, and she's one of my first cousins) lol

They have newer dorms at the school to but those are for the seniors, I didn't go in those but from the outside they looked nicer, but it could be just because they were newer, I don't know what the inside looked like, I guess they could be identical.

Anyway, I think some nice warm colours will contrast well with all the bright white, at least in my opinion.

:D