It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:16 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: So, just got home from church camp.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm 

Have I mentioned I'm not a camper? : \

These people camp BIG. I put in my time but I can't say I enjoyed it. Dh and I got a little cabin, which was nice. The weather was good. Dh and I got up at 2am saturday nite to watch the Perseids meteor shower and saw 30+ meteors in the half hour we were up (that was nice). But, I only used the honey hut once a day and I got dehydrated and ... I was just so out of place. sigh

BUT, dh stayed up there in the cabin last night and he called me this morning and invited me up there for dinner tonight (and spending the night). This will be the first time the 2 of us have camped alone. It will be totally different than camping with the group, I know.

I am taking poached eggs, pb&j sandwiches, my soup and dh's favorite standby food (a beans and rice dish). I'll have to buy English muffins for the poached eggs (which are already made) and some snacks like nuts or chips or something and call it good. I have tea and coffee, too. And there's water up there.

This is already cooked/made. We'll have to toast the muffins and dunk the eggs for a minute and I imagine he has bacon left that he'll cook for breakfast. I'll heat up my coffee if I want it hot in the morning. I will bring home dishes to do instead of doing them up there.

That's my plan anyway. I even tho't of making gravy for "biscuits and gravy" just to see how it would work having it made ahead. I'm just not wanting to have a "kitchen" at camp. NOT my idea of fun.

Post subject: Re: So, just got home from church camp.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:08 pm 

Wait, did you camp or did you stay in a cabin? Lol! ;)

I would so trade places with you! I am hoping my mom brings her camping stuff with her so we can go camping when she gets here. We don't have camping stuff. I hope we can find a semi decent place around here to camp.

We eat a lot of snack/junk food during camping, but usually burn it off with all the hiking. Last time we went camping, I totally overdid it with the junk food, lol! Camping is so fun!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm 

Sis, once again it is been made clear we are kindred spirits. ;) When I was 16-21 I worked summers at an Easter Seals camp. When we took the campers on an over night camp out we camped under the stars on the property's back 40 acres. We manually pushed electric wheel chairs, regular wheelchairs, carried braces, bed pans, catheter bags... We cooked over camp fires and had the whole experience. Our campers loved it, whether they were 5 or 85 (those who didn't like the idea got to stay back in the cabins, but most wanted to go).

What I learned from all of that is... I can do it, but I don't care to do so. I would rather camp at a KOA or in a motel/hotel room. :) If I had my overall preference, I'd just stay home. LOL. 4 of my 5 kids love camping, the other one, well - I just don't know for sure. I'm thankful that my oldest dd takes my youngest 2 dd's camping once a year. This year they missed out on the trip because we were on vacation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:05 pm 

[quote="LisaTX"]Wait, did you camp or did you stay in a cabin? Lol! ;) /quote]

:P

Well, the "cabin" is just that, a cabin. There is a gas "fireplace" in it which we didn't need at all. But, there's nothing else in it. We bro't chairs and a blow up mattress and our bbq. Oh, and dh's laptop. 8-) There's a generator up there that you can charge all your stuff once or twice a day! It was so warm that we had to leave the door open for awhile so I call that CAMPING for SURE! Open to all the little beasties.

Oh, did I mention there were SIX dogs at camp? Dh bro't ours. There were 3 little dogs and 3 big dogs. I was amazed at how well the dogs AND the kids got along. It was a really great small group of people.