It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:17 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: I think we have a name!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:17 pm 

Tory, I had been trying to think of a nickname! That is a good one, although we probably won't shorten it. We said we could call ds Chris or CJ for short, but we never have, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:10 am 

LisaTX wrote:
I think there is three ways to pronounce it, with an ex, with a ks, or with a z. I've always pronounced it with a ks. Luckily, they all sound close enough that I don't think it will be a big deal if someone says it different than we do and we still have a little time to test it out and change our minds on the pronounciation.

Maybe your husband will tire of that extra syllable! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:56 pm 

In English Language Phonics, and initial x is normally pronounced z. Go thru the dictionary, and read the pronunciation of all the x-started words, and you'll see the pattern. Other languages have other conventions. So, if you go with the X, a lot of people will make mistakes, but that's life. Everyone makes mistakes with our little one's name, because we use the Greek pronunciation instead of the English.

I am a firm believer that Parents get to name their kids, and having a good meaning & a name YOU like the sound of is important - and other conventions aren't so important.

Whichever pronunciation you choose, he will be a lovely boy with a lovely name - and a great Patron Saint : )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:22 pm 

The funny thing is, even though pronouncing it with a z seems the most common and the most correct, I've never heard it pronounced that way, so maybe that's why it sounds weird to me. I've been trying to say it out loud to get used to the sound of it and try out the different pronounciations. At least we are already used to dd's name being pronounced wrong, so it will be nothing new. I say king Xerxes in the Bible with a ks sound, instead of a z sound, too, lol.

Dh had told me he got the name from a customer at work and then last night he was like, "Oh, I might have gotten it from X Men." I don't watch those movies, lol, so I never would have known. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:29 pm 

I wouldn't have known either. Xavier University is a HUGE presence her in Cinci - so I only thought of the Saint-connection when I heard it. (of course, Saints NEVER cross my mind otherwise ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:45 pm 

What a wonderful name and I really enjoyed reading what Anna posted about St. Xavier leading many to Christ. May this baby boy bring many blessings to his Heavenly Father.