It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:08 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: For the Orthodox ladies...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:44 am 

I think the difference comes in what one thinks baptism accomplishes. In the tradition you describe, I think baptism is a public confession of faith; some call it an "outward expression of an inward reality". Baptism is something like a personal statement that one has put their faith in Christ and wants to follow Him. So of course one would need to be able to make that decision to be able to be baptized. It does make sense if you think of it that way and, previously, we waited for our kids to ask to be baptized before they were.

In the traditions where infant baptism is practiced, though, baptism accomplishes something different. It's not a public profession of faith based on a decision to follow Christ. For us, baptism is "for the remission of sins" (there are several instances in the Bible that state this) and is the door for entry into the people of God, the church. And so the question is then asked, "Does God want to withhold that cleansing from anyone? Does he want to keep anyone outside the Church?" We believe the answer is no. So, we practice bringing our babies to the font (as well as older converts), and believe there is precedent for this in the New Testament. There are five instances mentioned in the Bible where entire households were baptized, and nowhere does it indicate children/babies were excluded. In fact, in other places where God speaks of a "household," and especially of His covenant with a household, He very obviously means everyone in the household, not just the rational adults and older children.

And for the Orthodox, once someone is baptized and chrismated (anointed with Holy Oil), they are in communion with the church and there is no waiting period before they can receive the Eucharist. An infant will traditionally be named at 8 days old, baptized at about 40 days old, and then following the baptism will receive its first communion (either that day or the next depending on timing of baptism).

Here's a good article about infant baptism form the Orthodox perspective:
http://www.antiochian.org/content/infant-baptism-what-church-believes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:15 am 

The Presbyterians and Lutherans also baptized infants of believing parents.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 pm 

This is just getting better and better. Darla-you know the Illustrated book on Church History that you mentioned on the Bible Study page? Is there one similar to this about the Saints? I'd love to have a study to learn them with icon pictures present.

I totally understand the baptism of infants now. Thank-you for detailed explanation.

My husband told me today that he just does not feel led into EO because of its rituals. He is thankful to have his most concerning questions answered. He said that he believes that I should visit for myself as I have been looking into this for a couple of years now. Is it okay for me to attend an EO church alone?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 pm 

How does a 40 day old infant "take" communion?
I'm confused about this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:54 pm 

I was wondering about that as well Tory. Most babes are nursing/bottle only at this age, and no solids in their diets for a good while yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:52 pm 

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith7067/

I haven't read Darla's Baptism article, but I love the above one so thought I would add it for anyone interested.

A baby takes Communion off a spoon (as do all Orthodox Christians.) The Bread and Wine are mixed together in the cup. When a Priest is dealing with a tiny baby, he usually puts just a few drops of wine on the spoon - and it is understood that since the bread is in the cup, it is included in some way, but pieces are not put in a little baby's mouth. A baby begins taking Communion as soon as he/she is Baptized - the same day. That's usually not on the 40th day, but a wee bit later. Our dd was Baptized at 3 months.

Jenileigh, I am SO glad your DH has given you the go ahead to explore Orthdoxy on your own! It is quite common for one spouse to explore before the other one is quite ready, but often the whole family comes in time. It is more than okay for you to come alone!

I know from experience that it can be a little daunting to visit an Orthodox Church for the first time by yourself (I've done it!). It's easy once you get started, but before hand it can be a little unnnerving. If you're a little nervous, you could contact the Priest by phone or in person ahead of time and ask for someone to sit with you who knows their way around (I do this frequently with guests to our Church). You can also ask about Church tours so you can see the building and learn a little before attending. If you need help finding an Orthodox Church near you, I'm sure Darla or I would be delighted to help : )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm 

Anna, Darla has indeed helped me to locate two. Both are 1 hr and twenty minutes away. I think I will visit them both and go from there. In one way it is a undaunting to think about going alone but I'd be even more uncomfortable calling ahead and having someone sit with me! lol I'm not sure when I will first attend. It will be a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to let you know! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:02 pm 

We'll look forward to hearing how it goes : )

I can't believe the closest ones are so far from you! Sometimes it does work out that way, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:10 pm 

Well I live an hour and twenty minutes away from my college too. We live in the mountains. It's a drive to get everywhere. So that part I'm used to, although generally it's 30-45 minutes instead of an hr to and hr twenty. :) I do wish there was one in our community though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm 

You'll have to get some good recorded books for all that driving, huh? Or good Orthodox Music : )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next