It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:31 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Spanish! We are in our 3rd month!
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:46 pm 

I can't believe we're still going, actually! And it is getting rough! ;) You probably have no idea how much conflicting teaching there is regarding some aspects of such a simple language. It's too bad that words used so often can be among the most difficult to understand. :? We are trying to learn the difference in using "es" vs "esta". One "teacher" says "es" is for a more permanent status like "the car is blue" and "esta" is used for changeable things like "he is at work". Another says THAT thinking is completely wrong. ???

Today I read that you always use "estar", which would be "esta" in these sentences, when talking about the location of physical objects, so "donde esta tu celular" would be used rather than "donde es tu celular".

Got it? :P

My English grammar is not up to par which makes this grammar work more difficult.

Post subject: Re: Spanish! We are in our 3rd month!
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 pm 

I NEVER understood Spanish grammar, which is one of the reasons I finally just gave up.
Sad to say.
:(

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 pm 

Tory wrote:
I NEVER understood Spanish grammar, which is one of the reasons I finally just gave up.
Sad to say.
:(

I do think we get a bit hung up on the grammar. As with English grammar, if you learn what sounds right you will, most often, be close enough. We get so self-conscious and afraid of saying something silly that we freeze and just don't communicate at all. WE are trying to get past that. Next week we plan to use our flashcards to make sentences out of the words we already know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:00 am 

Oh flashcards are great for learning a new language. I had a lot of fun teaching my son Spanish with the help of flashcards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:06 am 

Greek has a similar is/is divistion. Eimai and Yparcho. (as well as several other words, like prepositions, that each has its place)

For the most part, it's a matter of listening to enough of the language that each "sounds right" in its proper place.

Remember, 3 year old native speakers manage to learn Spanish (or Greek) without having the slightest understanding of textbook grammar : )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:22 pm 

Yes, we first learn by listening and speaking, the grammar comes later.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 pm 

I think I'd learn it easier if I could hear it spoken on a regular basis. My brother learned by working with Mexican workers at my dad's shop. My ds is now learning the same way at his job.

My dd worked at a local Mexican restaurant and I urged her to learn Spanish while shee was there, but she wouldn't even try! :(