It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:58 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Pet birds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:17 pm 

We have a lovebird that we let fly around the house freely. We generally keep his wings clipped pretty close so he can't fly too well. But, there are those times that he surprises us with how far he gets, ... just before we clip his wings again.

I've gone outside with him on my shoulder many times with no problem. The other day he surprised me! He was getting agitated and I had decided to go inside but then he flew off! Fortunately dh was quick enuf and, I think, the bird was stunned enuf that he was caught on a fence.

My question is, for a bird that likes to ride around on my shoulder most of the day, even if he were to fly away outside, wouldn't he come back to me after awhile? I would think he'd look for familiarity and safety? When we get home after being gone to town, he's almost always back in his cage.

Anybody have experience with this?

I just hate having his wings clipped really short. :(

Post subject: Re: Pet birds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:58 pm 

I don't think he would. He would get that free feeling. Also, the wild birds would know it wasn't wild and attack it, or so I have heard. I think it would be safer to clip its wings or don't take him outside.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:12 pm 

He might never come back for one reason or another. But pet birds are horrid horrid little things! If I had one, I would hope it would fly away and never come back! Can you tell I loathe the things, lol?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 pm 

:o :o :o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:50 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
He might never come back for one reason or another. But pet birds are horrid horrid little things! If I had one, I would hope it would fly away and never come back! Can you tell I loathe the things, lol?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Me, too, Lisa!!!

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:23 pm 

I'd keep his wings clipped. I know a family that had a bird that they adored. They often took his cage outside and left the door opened. One day, for some reason, he flew off and never came back. They were devastated.They put up flyers all over the place and no one ever found the bird that they know of.
:(
Anything can happen to a pet that is out in the wild. They aren't used to the predator/prey situations, or vehicles, mean humans, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 pm 

: (

Actually, I got my first bird because my bff's co-worker had a lovebird come to her. She didn't want it and gave it to my friend. I don't remember why she gave her to me but she was a character. :)