It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Kids using foul language.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:36 am 

I'm very tired of hearing how freely children and adolescents and young adults... spout off their foul language to anyone and everyone, anywhere and any time. It's so juvenile, to begin with, and so unclassy. It seems to show a lack of vocabulary and ability to think for yourself.

I've never had to deal with this. My kids must've been too afraid of their dad. They still to this day, out of respect for us, wouldn't use foul language around us. But, why is it even there?

I blame movies and tv - maybe media in general. Hollywood says it "mimics" reality but I think it creates the reality. Kids mimic what they hear and they hear WAY too much of it in our media today.

Now, is there anything to be done about it? :?

Post subject: Re: Kids using foul language.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:17 am 

As someone who used to use foul language with my friends (early teens), it was about fitting in and being "cool". I had to work hard at it and it was just a bad word thrown in here or there. I never said bad words around my parents or other adults, though, that was a line I just couldn't cross. Still, I looked like an angel compared to the kids today. The first time I took my kids to our HOA playground, there were a few young girls by the swings using endless strings of profanities. My dd wanted to swing and I thought the girls would clean up a little with a young child there, but they just kept on like we weren't even there. We had to leave. I've never heard an adult talk like that, let alone kids. Since then, we only go to that playground during school hours.

Movies are definitely at least partially to blame. The current movies, that shouldn't even be watched by adults, are being watched by kids and they're full of filth. Part of it is also that kids have no shame or respect anymore. It's just the culture today. I've noticed it's also predominant among the atheist and liberal young adults. It's a rebellion, there's no right or wrong, so who cares kind of thing.

I think the culture would have to change and parents would have to be parents for it to stop, but that's not going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 am 

How would you handle it if your kids at around age 10-15 started texting this kind of talk? or you heard them talking to their friends like this?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:10 am 

Our one son started using all kinds of language we did not like when he was in his "bad boy" years. He rarely did at home, usually when very angry, but out of our home he and his friends were rarely not swearing. Now that he is a Dad, we are all reminding him that it will not be "cute" or "funny" to him if his son starts using such words in their home. He is starting to use less, but it is so ingrained in his speech that he doesn't always catch himself. We will see if he decides it is worth excluding all together once his son is a bit older.

It is so much part of the youth/young adult culture it seems. I have been surprised though, when I have watched some old movies, read some books that are much older and find the "f" word in them as well. I guess I have been very sheltered to not realize that most of the words I find offensive have been around a very long time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:48 am 

Well, all too often the kids are following the example of their own parents & grandparents!

When our kids have done this I have explained that using foul language is a HABIT, and once you develop that habit, you are GOING to have a word slip when you don't mean it to - in front of your parents, sunday school teachers, pastor, etc. It's best not to develop that habit. And, they listened. They might use a word now and then - but not every-other-word.

As for texting, I suspect a lot of kids don't KNOW what the F in WTF stands for! I remember a Christian adult friend correcting her kids for language (back when I was younger than her kids) and they said, "But Mom, you say "PO'd" all the time!" She had no idea what the P stood for!

If it were my kid, I'd explain the above. And, if that didn't work, I would withdraw texting priviliges till my advice had a chance to settle in.