It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:54 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Need advice: teeth extractions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:05 pm 

We do 6-8 extractions across the lower or upper, have to cut bone and do stitches and people drive themselves home but do not put people under. Just general anesthesia.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm 

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I was living on my own - I got myself home (I cannot remember if I took a taxi or biked home, but I'm assuming a taxi), got myself up 3 flights of stairs to my room, and took care of myself for the subsequent days.

If you are caring for them, it shouldn't be too overwhelming to you - and if you need to take one back for some reason, dd should be able to competently care for the other one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:21 am 

Linda, they have more teeth than their mouths can hold, which is why the teeth are so crooked. They have to have some removed. Taking the wisdom teeth will not give any more room in the mouth so there is no reason to remove them instead.

Also (and for Jen also) I'll have to ask the dentist what they will do as far as putting them under. I don't think their regular dentist would but if the send them to an oral surgeon, he might put them under. I will just have to wait and see what the dentist office says about that before deciding. Right now, I'm leaning more towards having them both done on same day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:23 am 

Anna.. you are amazing to do that after having wisdom teeth removed!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:28 am 

Everyone's different, but I am a baby about pain and having my wisdom teeth taken out was a breeze. I woke up asking when they were going to take my teeth out and they said, "We're done!" I walked out fine. Dh drove me home because that was their policy, but I probably could have drove if I had to. All I had after the procedure was dull pain and I didn't have to take many pain killers.

I would probably have them both done at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Owner

I'd get it over with at the same time. :0) You can do it!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 am 

Tory wrote:
Anna.. you are amazing to do that after having wisdom teeth removed!!!

No, not amazing.

It's called not having a choice.

I also worked a 12 hour midnight shift during a typhoon before the procedure :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:28 pm 

Make sure that their wisdom teeth are straight and not angled at all. A lot of wisdom teeth are slanted towards the molar in front of them and this can push them out of place after other teeth are pulled. I'd be absolutely sure that the wisdom teeth can safely remain before having the procedure done because I'd opt to do it all at once and not have to go back for that. The recommended age for healing from having the wisdom teeth pulled/cut out is 16-25 any time after this it's still common procedure but the healing is not as good and you will know they've been pulled. (I'm sure if they were impacted that the dentist would have told you.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:51 pm 

Hmmm they are slanted towards the molars. I even asked my ds's if they hurt?? Because on the xrays they looked like they were leaning into the molars. (The bottom ones, the top ones looked straight).
The molars are all slanting and the ortho said that it was because of having all of those teeth. Their eye teeth are up on top of the other teeth and not in line because of the space issue.
He's pulling the ones next to the eye teeth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:54 pm 

Also.. the dentist can't see them until Sept 5th. and he'll only pull 2 teeth and we'll have to go back for the other 2.
I'm NOT happy. I will call the Ortho back tomorrow and see if we can be sent to someone else. It's difficult because of them being on the state insurance (which is a nightmare!).
Not everyone takes the insurance and their dentist has a nice racket going on. I am hoping they send the boys to an oral surgeon. My ds had a tooth removed years ago that was growing up into his sinus cavity... if they can send the boys to him for the 4 teeth to be removed, that would be great. But, I'll have to see what happens.