It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:47 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome! Post your introduction here!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:21 pm 

Hi, most of you know me as NCAlyce. Hopefully Martha will be changing my name back soon. I am an army brat and continue to live around the army. We currently live in Fayetteville, NC which is home to Ft Bragg and the 82nd Airborne division of which I am proud to say my father belonged to after joining the 101st when he entered the Army during WWII. My Dh's father was a Pearl Harbor survivor and my Dh served in the Air Force for 4 years. We have been married for 29 years. My Dh works for the state as a veteran representative with the state's version of the unemployment office (Shhh, I'm not supposed to call it that). I recieved my BS degree in nursing in 1980 but after being diagnosed with Bipolar Disease had to go on disability which is why we were able to homeschool my lovely 2 kids (God always has a reason for why he does what he does)

Both my children started in the public school system, tried the private school method and since both methods failed us, God led us to homeschooling which we did until they graduated. They are both in college. My dd will be graduating next year with a degree in dance and religious studies and wants to be a part of a Dance Ministry program. My ds is going to the same college and is majoring in Psychology and Information Technology. Because of all the military influence I was telling you about he is also in the Army ROTC and hopes to get an appointment in the Army upon graduating college.

I've just begun my new path in life. My Bipolar Disorder has finally become controlled to the point that the Drs feel I can go back to work. I recently got my RN license re-instated and have asked to begin pastoral training with the United Methodist Church, My hope is to become a Deacon and serve as an Associate pastor and parish nurse or Chaplain. I'm still discerning which path God wants me to take. Even though I'm mentally capable of working I'm not quite physically. I hurt my should during my Karate class in Feb and have injured the tendons in my left shoulder. I have been doing physical therapy for the last 2 months and have improved very little. I have an appt to see my orthopedist next week and we'll see where we go from there. In the meantime I am currently leading our church's contemporary services while my pastor is gone away for his annual 2 week training for the Navy Reserve (see I told you I was surrounded by the military) My last sermon will be this coming weekend and then I get to be just a plain ole Lay Leader again (by the way their is no such thing as a plain ole)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:58 pm 

Introductions? All right then...

I am Scott Bryce from Taylorsville, Utah. I am the creator/owner/developer of The Math Worksheet Site, a web site that provides supplemental materials for math teachers. Mary, the original owner of this board, was my first paying customer in 2004. She asked me if I wanted to advertise here. She also mentioned that advertisers who participate in the boards often do better than those who don't, so I started posting. I have been involved ever since. I try to let the women have their space here, but I also like to chime in from time to time.

An ugly separation (5 years ago) and divorce (legally divorced last May, but there are still a lot of issues to resolve) have taken me out of the homeschooling life. My oldest daughter is in the Air Force serving as a Combat Communications technician, which means that she sets up and maintains computer networks near hot zones, or "down range" as she calls it. She is currently on tour with Tops In Blue, the Air Force's premier entertainment showcase, working as the video director. I am prevented by court order from posting anything about my other children.

I am an enthusiastic Modern Western Square Dancer, and dance at the Challenge 1 level where one must know and be able to execute almost 300 different calls, some of which can be stacked up in ways that can be pretty complex. My detailed knowledge of the complexities of MWSD has people trying to talk me into taking up calling, which I may eventually do.

Two years ago the singles ministry at my church had me working with The Most Amazing Woman Alive (tm), and we quickly became best friends. Though neither of us was looking for a relationship (I was still legally married, and she has been in too many bad relationships) we fell for each other in a big way, and we have been seeing each other regularly ever since. Raquel loves to dance, and she now shares my enthusiasm for MWSD. She is a former fundamentalist Mormon, and was once the fourth of four wives. Though a fundamentalist Mormon at the time, she was a founding member of the Utah Christian Homeschool Association, and was actively involved until the other members realized that her church affiliation disqualified her from membership. She has spent most of her adult life working as a teacher, including homeschooling her own children, but the demands of being a single mom have forced her to put her younger kids in public school.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:25 pm 

Let's see, I am married to my best friend and we have 6 wonderful children and another due in November!
I have been posting with HSC since my oldest was 4 and he's 14 now, so it's been 10 years! I started homeschooling when my son was 4, and none of my kids have been in public school. Both my husband and I went to public school and were homeschooled for a time.
I have a DS-14, DD-10, DD-8, DS-4, DD-2, DS-1 and DD due in november.
My Husband and I have decided to trust the Lord with our family size and he has certainly blessed us!
We have also recently felt the conviction to live more simply and to have less "stuff".
We have been selling, donating and throwing stuff away and are preparing to move back into our travel trailer for awhile. We know the Lord has plans for our family, we just don't know what yet! We desire to farm and have a garden and chickens right now, but will have to leave those behind when we move next month.
We desire to serve the Lord with all our hearts and soul and to make sure we are teaching our children when we rise up in the morning until we lay down at night. We believe that the Bible is the literal word of God and that we are to trust the Lord and repent daily. We strive to live in obedience because although He doesn't require anything from us, we owe everything to Him!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:57 am 

Hope my avatar doesn't crack your display screens, but it's a recent pic of yours truly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:31 pm 

PeteS. Please visit the healthy living board on here! We'd love to have you join us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:31 pm 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
I'm SoCalPam, living the good life in the O.C.! I started homeschooling in 2000, soon after I started visiting this board. We homeschooled our first son from the middle of second grade up to his graduation (with honors) this year. He Eagled, worked at a hardware store, and tucked four classes at a local J.C. under his belt toward his goal of becoming a firefighter.

We schooled #2 son all the way to last year, his freshman year in high school. Severe financial issues in the economy forced hubby out of his job and me into the outside-the-home work force. We all adjusted, especially my son, who entered public school for the first time. He excelled, earning a 4.53 GPA, making the track team, and finding lots of neat kids for friends.

Truly, the Lord had some plans for us, and it's been interesting to see the way they have unfolded. It's nice to be back on the board and see some familiar names! I've met a few of the gals irl and had the excellent good fortune to become BFF's with a few :)

In my spare time I like to read and play games on Facebook :o I don't complain too much about my kids' computer time. I love gardening, miniatures, throwing parties, and enjoying the southern California sunshine.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:46 pm 

My name is Patrice. We have been homeschooling since 1997 or 1998. Our oldest graduated last year and now attends college. I first found HSC when my children were very young - they are now 19,17,16, and 13. Our family is a "blended" family and I helped my husband raise his 2 children who are now adults. For the most part, I am a lurker but once in a while I will post. We live in South Florida. Thanks to HSC all those years ago, I became confident as a homeschooling mom. My husband and I have been married 24 years (July 2).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:23 pm 

Wow! It really is a reunion! It's so fabulous to see all of the familiar faces! If you don't remember me, as it's been so long, I am Renee, homeschool mom of three. My oldest just completed his first year of pe-med at Concordia. My middle guy has one more year at home before venturing off to become a history professor, and my youngest dd will soon be a Sophmore- still a ballerina. We started hanging out on this board when she was in kindergarten. Where does the time go? I've been super busy, trying to set up a life for my empty nest and a way to pay college tuition, so I've returned to my artist roots and trying to make a go of it. One day on a rare peaceful afternoon as I was reading about how Monet would do sometimes ten paintings in a day, I boldly declared that if he could do ten, then surely I could do one! So I've been on a 365 challenge since, keeping accountable by posting on facebook. I think today is day 88. My studio is filling up fast. Well, I'm so looking forward to catching up with you all!
In His love,
Renee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:44 pm 

Hi,

My name is Kris and I live in Minnesota with my husband of twenty years, Steve. We homeschool our two girls who are ages 12 and 16. We are heading into our tenth year of homeschooling. Over the years I have spent many hours lurking on these boards, sometimes posting, but mostly gathering lots and lots of valuable information and advice.

When I'm not with my family, I am serving in church playing keyboard in our worship services. I also play piano in weddings.

I haven't been on the boards very much lately, but I have been interacting with some of you on Facebook the last few years. It is fun to be here again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:02 pm 

SO good to see Pete S, Amy, and Kris!!!

WOW Pete, you and Mrs. S have lost a great deal of weight! What an inspiration you must've been to each other during this process. Kick boxing...sounds like something I might like to try.

Amy...I was just thinking about you the other day. How is your adopted daughter doing? I couldn't remember the name of your homeschool curriculum store so I could look you up.

Kris...It's great to see you here again!!!!

We've missed all of you!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next