It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome! Post your introduction here!!
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:59 pm 

perlcookwriter wrote:
Sis wrote:
Bummer. But, you're welcome to visit with US any time. :)

Thank you! XD So... Do you still homeschool anyone?

I think teaching is in my blood, or my DNA. :) My "homeschooling" these days is confined to helping my grands with their (public school) homework and teaching sunday school.

I never stop learning, myself, tho'! I am interested in just about everything. I enjoy learning about health, science, Spanish, history, ....

Since my memory isn't too great I get to learn things over and over! LOL

How about you? What are you interested in?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:47 am 

perlcookwriter wrote:
LOL, okay. I am interested in programming (could almost remake this website), that is also what our family business is about. Business software development. More hobby like interests of mine are sewing (designing cloths, mostly retro style dresses), writing (fiction which I am trying to grow out of XD), and cooking. I love cooking! Currently I cook for the whole family so I will not be getting back into learning programming until we hire a helper again.

A nice variety. :) Did you learn programming thru your homeschooling education? Do you have siblings? What are you cooking today?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:58 pm 

perlcookwriter wrote:
Today I made fried eggs (we have way too many right now XD) and sauteed' kale for lunch. Beef roast will be for dinner. Although, considering we are in dire need of onions and everyone is too busy to get them I will probably just throw together a batch of meatballs and roasted sweet potatoes. : )

I have four siblings. (I am second to youngest.) We are all into code, to varying extents.

My mother went to college for it and my brother learned from her, but mostly self educated himself through the internet. The rest of us learned from him and the net.

None of us will be going to college because it's a waste of time and money. Not to mention, (well, to mention - why do people say that?), in the computer industry textbooks are quite outdated. They also require you to take many extra classes completely irrelevant for us.

And it's a good thing we aren't going to college because student safety is failing exponentially.

So yeah, we are probably one of the strangest families. Aren't many like us around here anyway.

Ah yes, the "things to do with eggs" dilemma. I know it well and we don't even raise chickens! :mrgreen: Sounds like you have a nice handle on cooking. My mom didn't let me in the kitchen. I never cooked a meal or washed a dish before I got married.

We raised 4 kids, too. Two boys and two girls. Because I didn't learn anything around the house I made sure my kids learned it all. It has served them well and they have done the same with their kids. :)

I couldn't agree with you more on college. It's a racket. It has become a breeding ground for brainwashing and social engineering, imho. The costs for this pseudo-education are staggering, setting people up for the welfare system or other forms of government entangled "helps". (Oops! Did I just say that out loud??!)

In what region of the U.S. do you live?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:32 pm 

perlcookwriter wrote:
Nice handle on cooking, cleaning, laundry... I'm the domestic girl and I love it.

Next I am going to make quiche with the eggs. = )

Milk was the other thing we had way too much of. Figured out what to do with that: tapioca pudding and paneer cheese. If you do the paneer cheese right it comes out just like cheese sticks from the store.

Problem with the school system is that the whole business structure seems to be wrapped around it. People need degrees to get the job they want. Apprenticeships is the way to go I think. Which is where family businesses make a lot of sense. I think I am used to saying this out loud. Maybe too much. XD

Eastern Standard Time, why? And you?

Quiche is standard and yummy. Have you ever tried your hand at a souffle? :)

Do you have cows, too?

I almost said the same thing - apprenticeships. It's the only thing that really makes sense to me. I have known people that have "the best" education with plenty of letters after their name with all the degrees they have earned and yet they can barely find a job, never in their chosen field, and they have to re-learn everything they tho't they knew. My dd is a little bit different. She is an RN. She wanted to be a nurse since 2nd grade and finally made it happen. She got a job in a hospital and found that a lot of what she learned had to be unlearned and relearned in a different way. SO, all that blarney about "needing" that education? Pshaw!

I live in WA state, so Pacific Standard.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:42 am 

perlcookwriter wrote:
I have not made souffle, thanks for the suggestion. : ) I should do that.

We do not have cows or chickens, we get all that from a friend who does it all. Just got behind on the weekly amount.

I didn't know anybody actually knew what they wanted to do for life in second grade. Anyway I'm glad it worked out. I wonder if you can get an internship at a hospital alternatively to attending college...?

Have you heard of the Weston A. Price Foundation?

Hey, let's take this "outside". This "introduction" thread is getting quite long. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:18 am 

perlcookwriter wrote:
None of us will be going to college because it's a waste of time and money. Not to mention, (well, to mention - why do people say that?), in the computer industry textbooks are quite outdated. They also require you to take many extra classes completely irrelevant for us.

I am going to guess from your handle that there is a particular language you lean toward. I write Perl for a living, and I have not been to college. I did a tech school that focused on programming, but most of that was outdated. I learned a lot on the job and am now mostly self taught.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:12 pm 

perlcookwriter wrote:
Yes, I am very fond of Perl.

As am I.

perlcookwriter wrote:
Created by a Christian,

I didn't know that about Larry.

perlcookwriter wrote:
very smart

Yes.

perlcookwriter wrote:
and simple.

If you have a Unix background, yes. Not quite as simple if you have a Windows background, but you eventually get there.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:41 pm 

perlcookwriter wrote:
I get it now, completely forgot Lisp was a programming language. XD Not very familiar with it.

Thank you all for your introductions, but we are now moving past introductions. Please continue this conversation on the Fellowship Board. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:19 am 

My name is Joy. I am the mom of a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy. New to homeschooling. We live in Florida. We are still a growing family, Lord willing. My husband was homeschooled and while I didn't plan to homeschool, the talk of his experience ignited the passion in me to homeschool our kids. I have my degree in teaching and I can't wait to get started.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:31 pm 

Hi, I'm mom to a gaggle of wonderful children that bless me every day and make me smile. Two have married, two have gone to Bible college, and three of them are still homeschooling. My husband and I are so proud of our blended family. I was widowed, and he took on the responsibility of helping me raise mine in addition to raising his own. It has been such a great and challenging experience. We have both homeschooled our children from the get-go and are always happy to share our experiences to encourage others.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next