It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Welcome! Post your introduction here!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 pm 

My name is Cindy aka Cindy Lou Who, and I've been an HSC addict since late 1998 when we moved to the country and I didn't know a soul up here who homeschooled. I have made some wonderful friends here and have grown to love the fellowship, homeschool support, and friendship that has taken place here through the years. I have been married for 30 1/2 years and we have 3 children, two of which are finished with homeschooling and have moved out of the nest. My husband and I had a surprise blessing 11 years ago, when we thought we were no longer able to have children. He has been a big blessing to us and helps keep my husband and I young.

I have been taking care of my parent's since 2006 and things involving their care/personal affairs have really kept me busy, especially the past year and a half. I just sold their house and finished going through all their personal possessions. They went from 1900 sq ft. of stuff to 2 bedrooms, a storage trailer on our property, and 3 vehicles we will be selling soon.

I am looking forward to having more fun with my son this year as I wind up some big projects for my folks. He's growing up SO fast, and I want to savor my time with him.

I am also getting ready to have a grandson in a few weeks. My middle daughter married last July and is expecting her first baby. We are all very excited to welcome him into the family.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Owner

Wow, I'm still amazed to see the familiar faces coming back to the reunion! I hope we'll see more of you here, Kris, Renee, Pete, and everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:53 am 

Hello! I've checked in periodically, but mostly I've kept up with a few of my fellow retired homeschool moms via Facebook. I think I became a member of what was then the PrestonSpeed board in 1998. It was a long time ago, anyhow! It really blessed me! I had homeschooled my middle-schooler back in 1989, without internet support or fellowship, and it was really hard! Having this online resource was amazing. I checked for new posts about every ten minutes and freely shared my opinions and knowledge on every topic. LOL I think I still have old articles and worksheets saved on my computer!

My sons are all grown up now. Two are married and the youngest one is in his last year of college (International Business), engaged to be married in October. I have four grandchildren so far, and the oldest one is being homeschooled. (The other three are too young, but they will also be homeschooled, I am sure.)

Pat and I haven't had an empty nest, though. The kids and their friends come and go, and when our Marine son gets out later this month, he and his family will live with us while he goes back to get a new college degree. We are so excited to have at least one of our grandchildren close to us! We see the other three about six times a year.

I am still quilting and teaching quiltmaking and trying to develop a career in that area, especially in leading workshops and events. (http://www.gloryquilts.com) BUT... I am working full-time with a home health care agency. It was rewarding when I was in the field caring for people, but now I work in the office and have to wear makeup, fix my hair and dress professionally EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. I am grateful to have a job.

Pat finished his college degree last summer, but he isn't working in that area yet. We are grateful for his job, too, but it will be nice when he is doing something more interesting than working at the feed mill.

I help Chautona manage an online forum now, with a broader base - more general Christian womanhood than just homeschooling. Remember Chautona? She is a published author now, with several successful books. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A ... vig&page=1 Some are free on Kindle right now.

That's about it, I think. I met some of my online friends in person, teaching quilt classes in your area or just passing through. I stayed with Mary once, when I was teaching in California, and I still mourn her. I think of her often, especially working in health care, and it has made me careful. That's a good thing. I rejoiced when I learned of Robin's remarriage! God is so good.

Sorry to be long-winded! Thanks for sending me an email and inviting me to reconnect.

Post subject: An old-timer, who's not been around for a long while :)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 pm 

I'm Donna; live in Fort Worth, Texas; homeschooled my firstborn (Mike) for 13 years, graduating him in 2008; our 2nd born (Richard) had a rough little life, but walks in glory now (1992-1994); and my mom now lives with us. Son is attending community college and not sure what he wants to do.

After hs'ing 9 years, I helped a friend with a "fellowship/workshop" at the Arlington Homeschool Book Fair and found out there were more HOO'ers (homeschooling only one) out there than I ever thought. (Had standing room both Friday and Saturday that first weekend.) I was so energized, I decided I could write a book. One year later (2004), I was at the same book fair and had my book-in-hand to sell. God is good! So, I'm also the author of Homeschooling Only One ([url]http://donnac.com[/url]).

Now that I'm done homeschooling, I continue to be a help to homeschoolers and to those w/one student (message board: [url]http://hoo.donnac.com[/url]) when and as I can. Have written a few articles in several homeschooling magazines, too.

I'm also pursuing my artwork (hopefully to sell at some point) and continue writing (have a sequel to HOO to finish up high school, two historical fiction, and one on grief). So that's me. :)

It'll be fun to see who remembers me... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 am 
Site Owner

Donna! I definitely remember you!! I started reading your intro thinking, "Is this the Donna who wrote the Homeschooling One book?" And you are! Great to see you back!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 pm 

I do remember you!!! It's so good to see you again. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 am 

Hi...Ann here. One dd 12. We're doing 6th grade this year.
Yes....I still lurk. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:56 pm 

::waving to anne e::: :D
It's good to see you here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 pm 

Tory wrote:
::waving to anne e::: :D
It's good to see you here!

Thanks Tory! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Owner

Woohoo! Ann E, welcome back!! :0)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next