It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:05 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Got a tongue lashing from our pastor today
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm 

Tory wrote:
Same here, Laurajean. I am happy living here in my little cave watching Golden Girl reruns now that my a/c is fixed. ;)

OK, it's accountability time... :|
I recently turned on the Golden Girls because I remember watching it with my parents when I was younger. :oops: Boy did I turn red! I was shocked my parents let me watch that! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:50 pm 

I wish we had a like button on here..
Lisa, it is so cool that your pastor isn't trying to tickle your ears! Praise God for the few men of God that are willing to preach the truth!
I have so much to say on this subject, but it seems that many of you already said it.
I will say that as I've grown closer to Christ and the more I read his word, the less I want to do with the world. We stopped going to the movies (exception was Courageous), we do NOT listen to secular music of any kind, we don't watch TV anymore unless it's the news or a Christian show we know is ok on the doctrine. I only read books that glorify God. I know I'm not perfect, I'm still a sinner, BUT I do not live IN sin. Atleast not knowingly. The Lord reveals things to me all the time that I need His help in changing. The freedom of Christ I have is that I've been set free from the bondage I once had to sin. I am now free to choose to turn away from it where as before, I just couldn't walk away. I LOVE this freedom in Him!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 pm 

[quote="CindyLouWho"
@ Jennileigh...I love the sinner, just not the sin they participate in.
We have friends who are still living a gay lifestyle, and others we strongly suspect smoke weed, and many have tats, but who am I to judge? I remember when I was still on my journey back to finding the Lord @ 19 and a heavy smoker. The more my mother mentioned how revolting it was for me to smoke, and how much God disapproved, the more I smoked. God eventually did work in my heart and I was able to quit smoking 2 packs a day. Was my salvation based on whether or not I smoked? No.

The Holy Spirit has to be the barometer for "holiness" for each one of us. Sometimes the Holy Spirit speaks through a pastor, sometimes through a friend, oftentimes, (for me) He speaks directly to my heart about something I've seen or done, and then it's up to me to set things right with the Father.

We are bunny-trailing and covering more than one subject in this post. LOL
[/quote]

CLW- This is the point I was trying to make. I even admitted to trailing off of the original post BECAUSE of what I'd been witnessing on fb. Magic Mike wasn't just about stripping-it had a story line-he had a bad childhood wound up stripping for money and then met a girl who disapproved and they fell in love and he quit. Shades of Grey is about a boy who's mother was a crack addict and overdosed in front of him when he was 4 years old. He was left with her dead body for days. There was lots of damage from that and in the end he changes. I'm not defending either of these by any means I'm just saying there is a story to them JUST like most all Hollywood Entertainment out there. I see so many Christians narrow down a particular movie or a book but turn around and watch or read something similar. I did bunny trail the thread and for that I'm sorry.

My point was more directed to those who would say, "No, I would NEVER watch Magic Mike but I would take my child to see Brave." To me sin is sin and there is no difference in lust than there is in witchcraft.

Lisa-I'm glad you have a church that feel accepted in. We've been hurt a lot by churches and I'm done with organized religion at this point and I'm sure that comes across in my postings as well. And I did stray the thread away from your point. I apologize again for this.

(Anna- in rereading your posts I want to say that I did not mean to direct my comments at you but in general. I wasn't trying to disrespect or cut you down as a Christian. Please forgive me and my hasty wording.)

For those of you who have been hear a LONG time you remember me. I was the one who homeschooled under religious exemption, vowing to never put my kids back in public schools. I wouldn't even read C.S. Lewis because of his Lilith references and I believed that his Chronicles of Narnia were not of God either. Boy the discussions we had in those days!

I tried to keep my children from being exposed to any and all sin. I tried to be so perfect and holy. What I discovered was that I had become religious and judgmental without meaning to. I felt holier than other people. "I" was a better mother because I did this, "I" was a better Christian because I did that and in the end I found out that it's not our works-not that I didn't know that before, but I had gotten caught up in being so perfect.

None of it changed my daughters. One was raped, one was suicidal and cut herself. We dealt with blow after blow and I thought, "Why God?" I thought I was doing everything just right. Praying, binding, casting away evil, watching the right movies, reading the right books ect ect ect. Did I feel like God owed us protection because I tried so hard? Yes, I think I did. I discovered a lot about beliefs, the Word of God, churches, man and the Lord.

I can't protect them. Only God can. God will allow us to go through things to teach us lessons that we can use to help others. I have to trust Him in all things, good and bad.

Lisa yes, the lost do need good examples of Christians, but they also need to know that they'll never be perfect and we aren't either.

I have a close friend who got saved, cut his hair, sold his motorcycle and covered his tattoos. He was miserable. God said to him, "I didn't ask you to do those things, man did." When he was able to be himself with God he was able to have a real relationship with God. He is able to reach people that I never could.

I'm not trying to say that sin is okay nor that we should live in it and be comfortable in it, I was trying to say that the Lord leads us all out in different ways and different times. Some seem to give up everything at once while others let go of one thing at a time. We shouldn't expect everyone to be on the same level.

Edited to add that I just reread my first post and aside from bunny trailing I meant every word of it. That is exactly how I feel. I don't believe it's possible to love someone to hell. I believe that if we love no matter what with the love of Christ then the Holy Spirit will convict them NOT me. I understand what everyone else is saying, I use to be there. I'm just not now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 pm 

No apology to me necessary, Jenileigh. We are all sinners, and even if you did suspect me of some offense, well, I'm a sinner - what can I say? Only Christ makes any of us innocent before Him.

I very much disagree with some of your conclusions about organized Christianity, and about how to live in general, but I feel it is not my place at this point to deal with those issues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 pm 

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:26 pm 

laurajean wrote:
The way I see it.... I have accumulated waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much hay, wood and stubble in my lifetime. WAY too much! At this point, probably having more years behind me than in front of me, I want to accumulate the gold and the jewels. And that takes a lot of work. It's not easy, but it's worth it. And I'm not saying that I've arrived and have all the answers because God came to save sinners of whom I am chief! And some days, I am more "chiefer" than others! :lol: But it is a journey and I am striving toward more gold and jewels, and less hay, wood and stubble.

Most everything really is hay, wood and stubble.

Love this little pearl of wisdom! I think I need to write this down where I can see it every day: Less hay, wood and stubble. More gold and jewels!

Shawny wrote:
I know I'm not perfect, I'm still a sinner, BUT I do not live IN sin. Atleast not knowingly. The Lord reveals things to me all the time that I need His help in changing. The freedom of Christ I have is that I've been set free from the bondage I once had to sin. I am now free to choose to turn away from it where as before, I just couldn't walk away. I LOVE this freedom in Him!!

I think this is spot on! When I'm spending time with God like I should, He reveals things to me that I need to change and I feel Him working on me and sometimes I don't like it and I fight it! But I know He's doing it because it's what's best for me in the long run. He loves me too much to leave me the way I am. It would be much easier if I wasn't so stubborn, though!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 pm 

Anna- I am enjoying this thread as well. It's okay for us to agree to disagree. I'm sure you can tell from my post that I am dealing with things. I'm giving you permission to share some of the things you disagree with if you feel so led. If not, that is fine too. I'm pretty thick skinned. I'm also tired and wish I had more rest and time to better word myself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:13 pm 

Thank you, Jenileigh. It's nearing bedtime now (actually, way past, as our Little One usually stays up as late as we do!)

I don't know if it is wise (in the Godly Wisdom sense) for me to say more or not. I'll probably sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

Now, I would only say, "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater" - sometimes the things we think are righteousness are just a facade - and that doesn't make REAL righteousness a bad thing - that makes facades a bad thing. Sometimes the Organized group we meet may not be Godly, but that doesn't mean that God didn't originate & doesn't approve His Church (which is the epitome of Organized Religion- with Christ as the True Head). Sometimes what appears to be "love" in the world is a counterfeit of God's True Love - and we reject the wrong one by accident.

I am very concerned about your daughters and the troubles you said they had experienced - I'm a relative newcomer and haven't seen any previous posts you may have made about it - and am very surprised & concerned to hear of their troubles.

Pray about it all - mull it over. I'll pray for you. We can all sleep on it. Rest in God's Peace & Love.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 pm 

Jenileigh, but did you see that movie for the story behind it or read the books for the story behind them? It seems like a lot of junk to go through to get to the story. All I hear about Magic Mike is women swooning over Channing Tatum and gushing about the "action" in the movie, not the story behind it (which sounds rather boring anyways). All I hear about 50 Shades of Grey is the disturbing in depth detail of the sex acts and the abuse of the woman. Every movie/book has a story to it, but how can these be compared to a PG children's movie?

It sounds like you are deflecting the attention off yourself by bringing up people taking their kids to see Brave. Just because other people are taking their kids to see Brave doesn't mean I would be justified in going and watching things I shouldn't be watching. I don't see the reasoning or justification in that. If you think they're hypocrites, fine. But what does that have to do with you and what you are watching? You should be asking yourself why you're watching it, if God wants you to watch it, if it's a movie a Christian should be attending, if the story behind it is redeeming and how much filth you have to go through for the story, if it will have a positive or negative impact on you, if it will cause you to sin, etc. Saying witchcraft and p*rn are just as bad still doesn't justify going to see one of them, just because it's just as bad as everything else.

You do have a point about witchcraft and I think that we take it way too lightly, when the Bible makes it clear how dangerous it is and that God HATES it. This is one of the reasons I'm not taking my kids to see Brave (besides the fact that we rarely go to movies, anyways). Of course, witchcraft is very tricky because it's in most of the fairytales we grew up with. But I still don't see the comparison between an adult movie about male strippers and a children's movie. Some people say if we wouldn't watch it with our kids, we shouldn't be watching it. I would watch Brave with my kids and have a conversation about witchcraft afterwards, which could actually turn out to be a positive thing since they do need to be aware of the dangers of witchcraft anyways, but I of course would not watch Magic Mike with them. I think I would feel embarrassed and dirty to watch it.

I'm not sure what you mean by organized religion. Christianity? Churches? I don't really consider myself part of organized religion, either. From the time I became a Christian, I've tried to only follow God's word, not a certain denomination or church or whatever. The church I go to and the denomination it belongs to, I go to only because I feel it lines up the closest with the Bible. If it didn't, I'd be gone.

Jenileigh wrote:
I tried to be so perfect and holy. What I discovered was that I had become religious and judgmental without meaning to. I felt holier than other people. "I" was a better mother because I did this, "I" was a better Christian because I did that and in the end I found out that it's not our works-not that I didn't know that before, but I had gotten caught up in being so perfect.

I can't relate to the religious and judgmental part, because I always feel like the worst mother and the worst Christian, lol, but I can relate to trying to be perfect and holy. Like you, I can't do it. I drive myself crazy trying to. I think it's because I'm trying in my own power, instead of letting God change me. I can't make myself change, but the only way He can change me is if I let Him, by spending time with Him in the Bible and in prayer. I can't speak for you, but I know I definitely don't spend enough time with Him and that's why I'll continue to be a failure. I guess I don't like change of any kind because I get scared. When I spend more time with God and feel Him starting to work on me, I draw back. My stubbornness and resistance to change, I guess, even good change. It's something I'm trying to work on. I need to focus less on trying to be perfect and more on spending time with God. Then the change will come more naturally. Me not watching Magic Mike is not me trying to be a better Christian than others and feel good about myself. It's me trying to push out more of the world, so I can have a better and more clear focus and mind, to spend more quality time with God. Like Laura said, to have less stubble and more jewels. It's hard, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:40 pm 

Well, when I got up this morning, this was the Gospel reading for the day (our Church emails them : )

The reading is from Matthew 21:28-32

The Lord said this parable, "A man had two sons; and he went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work in the vineyard today.' And he answered, 'I will not'; but afterward he repented and went. And he went to the second and said the same; and he answered, 'I go, sir,' but did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, the tax collectors and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the harlots believed him and even when you saw it, you did not afterward repent and believe him."

It's funny, because I was thinking of just this passage last night.

In one of my more colorful moments in life, I had the opportunity to spend the afternoon talking to an infamous P*mp with ties to the underworld (don't ask! ; ).

He told me that he had gone to a wedding in a Church, and had seen a poster that said "Even the tax collectors and harlots will go to heaven ahead of you." He was totally scandalized on behalf of those "good" people who were being so insulted by being compared to HIM! You see, he had great humility because of his great sin, and he thought that EVERYONE who attended Church was better than him!

Great sinners often have great humility and great repentance. As the Scripture says, he who has been forgiven much loves much. Many notorious sinners (like the Woman at the Well, St. Photini) have become the GREATEST Saints.

The kind of LOVE that overwhelms others with GOD'S LOVE and and converts them is not a touchy-feely worldly sentimentalism, but it comes from profound and overwhelming repentance and abandonment of sin.

The Greek word for repentance doesn't mean to say you're sorry and get a free ticket to heaven, and go on living the same life you did before. It means to change your mind and change the direction of your life - to forsake your sin by the Grace of God.

The GREATEST of sinners with great *repentance* is light-years ahead of the self righteous person who revels in his or her own imagined holiness.

True, Godly LOVE cannot exist, and cannot enlighten others with the Love of God without true Repentance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next