It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:43 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Have you noticed this at church?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:45 am 

Ds sometimes will draw in a notebook during the sermon. Afterwards he can tell what was talked about though. He is listening and taking it in even if he is not watching the pastor all the time. The pastor has a quirky sense of humor and will sometimes say something funny buried in the midst of what he is talking about. Ds will often be the first one to chuckle out loud and the pastor will say "See, HE was listening to me!" LOL I have not noticed any devices at church except one little guy who his parents say is ADD, he has some game thing he plays with. It is mostly older people though. I wouldn't like the electronics in there either but I prefer the old fashioned traditional service and surroundings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:33 pm 

We also are in service for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or so every Sunday morning. I think something that helps in our situation is that most people are standing most of the time, not sitting (of course there are some chairs available and some people have to sit more than others), and so with this the kids have a tiny bit of wiggle/move around room. They can walk from sibling to sibling quietly to stand with a different someone for awhile, for example. We do let them look at a picture bible or icon book during the morning prayers, but once the Divine Liturgy starts, those get set aside. The liturgy is for all ages, there's lots going on and there are things to do, so the kids can be involved too in worship. The priest's homily is a relatively small part of the service (~10-15 mins). We're a parish of about 50 or so, with 15-18 children, and I guess when everyone else is standing and participating the kids just learn this is what we do. (I'm not trying to intimate that there's never noisiness or inappropriate behavior from our place in the room! And that I never fidget or get distracted; but having certain things to do at certain times, and doing them with gratitude and reverence, makes the time fly usually.)

But when we were at a different church, and the sermon was the main part of the service, we found it helpful to have something quiet for kids to do (coloring, books, quiet toys). Like Stacy said, I could see coloring or spiritual reading on an electronic type device in that situation, but not playing games, watching movies or surfing the 'net.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:44 pm 

I think Carol hit upon what bothers me most about the electronics. With coloring and stuff like that, you are more able to multitask, hearing the sermon while you color. Then you reach the point, like I think my ds has, where you are less fidgety, don't need to keep your hands occupied, and can actually sit and listen. With a game or movie, you become like a zombie (or at least my kids do) and everything else is drowned out. Then at what point is the kid actually going to start listening to the sermon? They're not going to, unless you take the device away and then they're just going to be mad. Then they're going to be adults and sitting there messing with their gadgets or wanting to mess with their gadgets during church. I once heard of a woman during worship, singing the worship song with one of her hands up in the air, while she was looking down and texting. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:35 pm 

I agree, Lisa. As the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

I believe that Children are apprenticing to be good Christian adults.

If we teach our kids to surf the net, watch videos, or play video games during Church, we are
training them to be skilled at those things, and their training in how to worship God is being neglected.

Little kids do need breaks sometimes - our Moms can be seen taking kids into the Narthex to discuss the Icons, very quietly playing "I spy" with the stained glass windows, and, yes, helping little kids color or play with small toys. But, when the many times come that closer attention is paid, then usually that distraction is stopped and the child participates (kneels, makes their Cross, stands, sings, goes to take Holy Communion, etc). I would find that impossible to do with a video game running.

Interestingly, it is my understanding that at one of our Monasteries, the Monks have the services of the Church, Gospel reading, etc, available to them on a computer screen - which prevents the distraction of having to use many books to do the same job. So, technology isn't all bad - but if it takes precedence over worship instead of enhancing it, it's not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:21 pm 

Another issue that I have found (and other Moms have also noticed & discussed with me) is that sometimes the KID is doing great in Church - interested, participating, focused.

Then, a nearby grown-up suddenly decides the kid needs some entertainment, and begins playing with them, providing toys, making faces, etc. Like the nice visitor who provided my Little One with an Ipod in the middle of Church. She meant well, but it wasn't needed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:16 pm 

I haven't read any of the replies, but I had a family come sit right in front of me last Sunday. The mom automatically pulled out a device.. I guess it was an ipad?? I am not sure because there are so many these days!
The three boys sat there with their heads together watching whatever it was.... but then another lady came up... and took one of the boys away. I only assumed it was her son and she didnt' want him sitting there watching that thing during church. The other two sat there watching.
The entire family came in late... then as soon as the sermon was over, they all left. It was strange because they were only there about 15 minutes total.
The device WAS distracting because of the light. I could only be thankful that they were VERY quiet, which was a good thing. This may have been that mom's only quiet 15 minutes of her week so at least she was able to listen to the sermon before having to zip off to where they went to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:43 pm 

Just wanted to say that I am not saying ipads in church for reasons of play are ok. I bring my ipad as it is my bible and I take my notes with it. When my children were young I had a certain amount of time I knew each of the could be still and quiet. Each one was different. When they were at the end of it, I took them out. They would color during church. I just think, the 2-3 hour church service is a bit much. It's ok for you to disagree I just didn't want you to think that I approved of goofing off with movies , games etc during church time. For me, I expected way too much from my children too young. It broke their spirit etc. Every family is different. Every child is different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:02 pm 

The way that the time passes in an Orthodox Service is VERY different from the way it passes in a Protestant Service.

I have to admit, that as a Protestant, I found a service 2-3 hours long to be VERY long. But, as an Orthodox, the time just suspends - even for the kids. My little one *cries* if I tell her there is a service and we aren't going to Church!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:18 pm 

I myself wouldn't mind our services at my current church lasting that long. There are times when the pastor is apologizing for "going over" and I wished he had kept going. I wish there didn't have to be time constraints. I think the longest a service has gone is 1.5 hrs. It depends on what's going on. Last Sunday, we had a baptism, communion, and at the end, the pastor said "We're having a block party outreach event coming up and as soon as I get enough volunteers, church will be over!" That's one way to get volunteers, lol, but luckily a lot of people at church are proactive.

This is not including the hour long Sunday school we have before the service, where we have some great conversations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:13 pm 

I'm not seeing any "reasoning" that the ipad is different than coloring books, reading books, or other distractions. How is it different?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next