It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Prayer please, ds going to DMV
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 pm 

DD hasn't driven by herself since she got her license yesterday. I've had to have the car or we've all had to be together because of crazy schedules. Today she banished me to the back seat while she drove us to swim practice. DS sat in the front with her. They pretended I wasn't there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:37 pm 

I took dd in to the insurance office today. My premium only went up $50/month. She got a discount for having a 3.0 GPA and by doing a driver's course that they offer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:45 pm 

How did you prove the GPA?? They are saying here that they have to be in the top 20% and the only thing I had was an old Stat 10 test he did at the end of last school year.
I didn't have them tested this past year.
They wouldn't take "my" scores. GA stinks when it comes to home schoolers.
They even have to have a GED to get into college here. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:15 pm 

Tory wrote:
How did you prove the GPA?? They are saying here that they have to be in the top 20% and the only thing I had was an old Stat 10 test he did at the end of last school year.
I didn't have them tested this past year.
They wouldn't take "my" scores. GA stinks when it comes to home schoolers.
They even have to have a GED to get into college here. :(

I had transcripts that I made, and my insurance co. took it without question...they knew I homeschooled, too. And my oldest son went to the local CC here using the test scores (ITBS, SAT), my transcripts, and a portfolio I had worked up for him. He did not have the GED. My younger son did get his GED, though. But they do NOT have to have a GED to get into college here in GA. You need to talk with the admissions counselor at the school of their choice and find out the requirements...that's what I did...and if they push the GED thing, then contact HSLDA. They may be able to help you.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 pm 

Seems to me that since you have twins, this particular ds must be either in the top 50% or the bottom 50% of his class - by definition! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:39 pm 

The discount had nothing to do with the state of FL, only with what State Farm required of me. I told them that I homeschooled and they said to bring a transcript. I created one, signed it and they accepted it with no questions asked. State Farm requires them to have a 3.0 GPA. They told me that if she hadn't had the 3.0 GPA the premium would have been $48 more per month.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 pm 

SIGH.. we are using State Farm and they told me they had to have a standardized test.
AND it had to be within a 12 month period. Of course, we don't have one because the last one he took is 13 months old now.
The cost is astronomical, too!!!
However, I did get phone call TODAY from one of the guys from there (coincindentally!). I called back and he was at lunch so then I didn't get in touch with him. I figured we'd be there tomorrow in his office anyway if ds passes.
Maybe this guy will know more and will be a bigger help. All I can do is pray they will take some other form of school records.
As for the colleges here. Ugh. These people are so back woods hick that it's not even funny.
They act like they've never seen a home schooler before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 pm 

Kinda reminds me of a friend of mine who's an immigrant from Africa. The local college told him he had to take the ESL exam (Toefl?) to be admitted. Didn't matter that he was from an English-speaking country and English was his first language. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 pm 

Tory, if you have to have testing... here is a quick and cheap way to get one for them.

http://setontesting.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:38 pm 

I was just coming on to post what Shelly did LOL! That's the place I order ours from, we have to do one every year. It is $25, you can administer it yourself and they will email results back to you within a few days if you ask them to.

We have State Farm and I don't think our agent has ever mentioned this discount to us for dd. Grrr. I am grrrrr with him already and am either switching agents or possibly just switching to Farm Bureau.

I hope you can find something that will help!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next