It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Bunny Trail from I Shouldn't Have to Pay My Way
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 pm 

I've never had a problem with Walmart's prices or customer service. I don't know how they treat their employee's but my mom is a cashier and when I mentioned to her that they are opening up a Walmart here, she said she did NOT want to work for Walmart, lol!

Customer service is important. If I had a job or didn't have kids, I could probably afford to put customer service first, but right now it's just about keeping my family fed and clothed. Luckily, the grocery store I shop at has great prices AND great customer service, so I don't have to compromise there. Actually, most of the stuff we buy, from clothes to household items, is from the thrift store and the local one here has great prices and great customer service, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:12 pm 

Oh yeah! I love my local consignment store. :D And I find it hard to every pass up a good thrift store. When I am looking for something in particular (right now, I am in the market for a new sofa and recliner for my den) I always go there first. I just refuse to pay full retail price. That's where me and my dd get most of our clothes. I have even gotten a lot of dd's shoes there, too. She outgrows everything - or wears it out so quickly - that I don't want to pay full price on those items for sure! I am so glad our little town has a consignment shop PLUS a Willing Hands thrift store (affiliated with our local Baptist Association).

But I love and appreciate great customer service.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:27 pm 

Laurajean, a Dollar General Super Store?? Really??! I LOVE Dollar General and would be giddy if a super store one came near here! I go to WM maybe once or twice a year. I get groceries somewhere else and I get household items, toiletries, etc at Dollar General. They have a decent selection of food and some cold stuff, basics. It is never crowded in there and I can always get what I need for say storm preps in there real quick without having to fight people in WM for supplies. Our little town WM is nice and the people are nice enough, I just get way too distracted off my list lol. The WM in the neighboring town makes me so ill every time I go, that I now refuse to go in that one.

Ds and I went in WM today because he was shopping for something for grandma. I found some lamp oil and wicks - have not seen those in a store in ages so I got some of those for the emergency kit.

I'm going to go dream of a DG super store coming to my town LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:14 pm 

I agree there are many ways to see things. I go for prices and customer service. They don't always work hand in hand but that's my goal. Yes, I go to Aldi's but that's because that's what we can afford and they are cheaper than Wal-Mart but at the same time their generic products are better, sometimes even better than brand name. I rarely buy brand name items. It's crazy that you pay so much when you can get the same thiing cheaper. The big name products give big name profits. I do shop at 2 local stores. One is my pharmacist. I've been a customer of their for 25 years. They are what you would call a mom and pop pharmacy. They're always great and are willing to give you a couple of extra to get you through if you need just a couple of days and they deliver to you. I don't know any big chains that will do that. I also quilt and I used to shop Joann's, that's before I found my local quilt shop. Yes the fabric prices are higher but I put some fabric from Joann's side by side with fabric she sold and was suprised at the difference in quality. I hadn't really had good customer service from Joann's anyways so now I shop from her. It's a lot out of the way to go but the quality of fabrics is so much better and I need that for something I expect to last many years to come. They know me by name, even when I call and am eager to help me to the point that just recently one of the workers helped me for half an hour picking out fabrics and I wasn't the only customer in the place. The neat thing is the other customers were getting the same kind of service I was. I also buy my scrapbooking supplies from Creative Memories for that reason and I have a lady that I prefer to deal with. She's very helpful and gives much better service than other consultants I've had. So there are stories on both aisles but in the end I choose to try to match both sides as much as possible. I can't say that I've never price shopped because I have, in fact just did to order my kids college book but there is only so far our pocket book can go when that happens I have to go with the price if the product is the same.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:
Laurajean, a Dollar General Super Store?? Really??! I LOVE Dollar General and would be giddy if a super store one came near here! I go to WM maybe once or twice a year. I get groceries somewhere else and I get household items, toiletries, etc at Dollar General. They have a decent selection of food and some cold stuff, basics. It is never crowded in there and I can always get what I need for say storm preps in there real quick without having to fight people in WM for supplies. Our little town WM is nice and the people are nice enough, I just get way too distracted off my list lol. The WM in the neighboring town makes me so ill every time I go, that I now refuse to go in that one.

Ds and I went in WM today because he was shopping for something for grandma. I found some lamp oil and wicks - have not seen those in a store in ages so I got some of those for the emergency kit.

I'm going to go dream of a DG super store coming to my town LOL!

Carol, it is GREAT and I just love it! I go shopping on Saturdays, and I get a coupon for $5 off $30 for the NEXT Saturday! It has a small grocery section with a little produce area - lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, peppers, potatoes, bananas, apples, avacados, and even fresh pineapple. They have a small meat section carrying basic meats....chicken breasts, hamburger, pork roasts, etc....nothing gourmet and fancy, but most everything you really need. They have eggs, bread, butter, cheese, yogurt, milk, frozen foods like pizza and flash-frozen fish and chicken breasts, and of course a nice supply of staples....COFFEE (!!!!), cereal, mac-n-cheese, flour, sugar, cake mixes, spices, peanut butter, canned vegetables and fruit....I do most of my basic grocery shopping there. They have better prices than anywhere around. It's not huge and overwhelming - you won't walk yourself to death! And no matter where you park, you are close to the door! :lol:

Everyone there is SO nice and helpful, too, which makes it a pleasure to shop there.

I hope you get one, soon, Carol!! :D

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 pm 

Good customer service is a plus!! I shop Kroger and get 10 percent off their brands as I am considered a senior citizen now. I buy things from Bose as I get someone in the US and they help me right away. I buy MAC because their service is impecable also. I seldom go to Walmart for all the same reasons as everyone else