It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Mean Kids?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:42 pm 

All kids encounter other kids who are "mean" here and there.

I don't mean physically violent, but rather "You can't play with us" and "This is OUR ball, you can't have it" sort of mean - on up to the high school & college cliques, bullying and general nastyness.

How do you teach kids to deal with these sorts of situations?

Do *you* EVER step in and intervene?

When your kid comes to you in tears, do you say "I'll play with you" or "go back and try again" or "find some other friends" ?

What do you do when YOUR kid is the mean one?

Post subject: Re: Mean Kids?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:38 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
All kids encounter other kids who are "mean" here and there.

I don't mean physically violent, but rather "You can't play with us" and "This is OUR ball, you can't have it" sort of mean - on up to the high school & college cliques, bullying and general nastyness.

How do you teach kids to deal with these sorts of situations?

Do *you* EVER step in and intervene?

When your kid comes to you in tears, do you say "I'll play with you" or "go back and try again" or "find some other friends" ?

What do you do when YOUR kid is the mean one?

When my kids were very young, we had a whole neighborhood of "Kids," around the same age. They have all gone back and forth in these phases of bunching up in groups and excluding one another, at different times. I usually didn't intervene. However, one time, a girl across the street really went out of her way to make my dd cry, and I had about enough of her "drama." I walked over to the house and knocked on the door and talked to my neighbor. She called over her dd and basically told her she was grounded for being so mean to my dd, and by the next day, they were friends, again. This particular girl is an only child, and she always struggled with not being the center of attention in everything.

So overall, no, I do not interfere, but every now and then, I would have to step in. One time, my dd and some of the neighborhood girls shrugged off one of the younger girls, and her mom came to see me. I told her that I would talk to my dd, and when I did talk to my dd, I just told her to include this girl more often.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:12 pm 

Sometimes it is good to just play with your child, in the setting where this is happening. It can be what they really wanted or needed at the time, and they might integrate themselves back in, or the other kids may come join with you. Usually kids will work things out amongst themselves, but sometimes they may need a listening ear and some coaching on what they might say/do when such times arise, so they have more skills to use to help the situation change to benefit them all. Sometimes it is good to take a break from a particular kid/group, and play with someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:22 pm 

We had one incident at the swimming pool recently with some very rude and obnoxious older kids. They were in the deep end and ds went over to the deep end and started swimming close to where they were. He basically swam right into their little group. One of the kids yelled a couple times "Go to your mommy" in a mocking tone and said a couple of other things that weren't bad, but just in a very mocking tone and they were laughing. I was right there nearby helping dd swim. I waited for ds to come over and figured he would say something about the kids and I would tell him that they were mean, but he should have watched where he was going and not just swam right over to them.

When ds came over, he said all excited "Did you see? I swam over to those kids and they thought I was swimming good!" :lol: The kid's mocking tones had gone completely over his head and he didn't even realize they were making fun of him. So I let it go, lol.

He had a couple of "spats" with neighborhood kids when we lived in Lockhart, but they weren't anything big and they weren't mean kids. They were all a little older than ds. Ds would get his feelings hurt or sometimes get physically hurt and walk inside crying, while the other kids were calling out that they were sorry. A few minutes later, ds would go back out and play. He's not the type that would come to me crying, he would go off on his own and cry and pout for a few minutes and then it would be over.

Dd has come to me a few times crying that her friends were being mean to her and I just comfort her while she cries and tell her she can go back and play or just play by herself for awhile. She can be a drama queen and sensitive and usually no one's really being mean to her, she is just bossy and sometimes she clashes with kids who won't put up with her bossiness. If she doesn't get her way, she decides they are being "mean" to her. I tell her that they're not being mean, she's being bossy and no one wants to play with someone who bosses them around all the time. Sometimes she needs to do what other people want to do. That usually shuts her up and she gets over it and goes back to playing. Or she just plays by herself for awhile. It's up to her. I just say, if you don't want to play with those kids or you think someone is being mean to you, then don't play with them. It's common sense.

The only time I think ds was a little mean was when he was out playing with some kids and one of the kid's older brother was mean to him and he ran into his house crying. Ds went over to the brother and said something like "Why is your brother being such a cry baby?" I told ds that it is mean to talk like that about someone even if they can't hear you. I reminded him that he does the same thing sometimes and how would he like it if someone made fun of him for it. I can't think of a time when he was actually mean to another kid, though. He's usually super nice. As someone who was bullied in middle school, I try to make sure my kids know that bullying for any reason is wrong. We read books on bullying and kids with disabilities, etc. and talk about how other kids can be mean to them, so they should be the ones to be nice to them and be their friend. We talk about how each person is unique and has value because they are created by and loved by God.

I tell them that there are mean people out there and the best thing to do is ignore them. When I was verbally bullied as a kid, I ignored the people and that kept it from escalating into a physical confrontation and by the end of the school year, one of the people apologized to me and said they were wrong. If someone tries to hurt them, they need to do whatever possible to protect themselves, but in general, mean kids don't deserve acknowledgment and just need to be ignored and that's what I tell my kids. Ignore them and use them as an example of how not to act. I say if someone doesn't want to play with you or says "you can't play with us" why would you want to play with someone like that anyways? Move on and play with someone else. Don't take it personally. Their feelings may be a little hurt for a moment, but I think if I don't make a big deal about it and make sure they know that the problem is not with them, but with the other kid, my kids will see that it isn't the end of the world and will move on.

Thankfully, we haven't had to deal with this much because of homeschooling. It would be worse if they attended school, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:27 pm 

Pam you always have such great insight!