It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Newletter Ideas...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:42 am 

Every month for my Sea Cadet Division, I publish a monthly newsletter for cadets, parents, officers, sponsors, and misc., people. I have two, big events that happened during the month of July, and I want to create this newsletter with a "In the SpotLight" type of announcement. One announcement is that my daughter became a Chief Petty Officer, the highest rank a cadet can go. Another announcement is that one of my cadets finished boot camp with Battalion Honor Cadet. Basically, out of 225 recruits, she was chosen as the most outstanding cadet from that training. I am thinking of some kind of "camera" or spot light with their pictures in them and the information. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Newletter Ideas...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
I like the spotlight idea. You could have their pictures with clip art spotlights pointing up at them.

Congrats to both girls!

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:51 pm 

I like the spotlight idea, too!
Congratulations on your daughter's appointment to Chief Petty Officer and your other cadet's Battallion Honor Cadet Award.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:45 pm 

CindyLouWho wrote:
I like the spotlight idea, too!
Congratulations on your daughter's appointment to Chief Petty Officer and your other cadet's Battallion Honor Cadet Award.

Thanks Cindy. Our unit is brand new, so this is really a high honor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:02 am 

Oh, that makes it all the more exciting!

DH's Webelos group was recognized amongst 600+ cub scout campers. It was his first time to have their unit recognized at a state level and it was a high honor, so I can only imagine what your leaders are feeling right now as you celebrate these two honored positions!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:25 am 

If your unit is new it might be a good idea to do a section on people and ways your program is improving. You might also want to do background peices on some of the more important coming up events..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 am 

NCAlyce wrote:
If your unit is new it might be a good idea to do a section on people and ways your program is improving. You might also want to do background peices on some of the more important coming up events..

Thanks Alyce. At the end of this year as a "looking back", I plan to do just that.

Also, I always include upcoming events so the officers and cadets can plan their schedules, accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 am 

What great things are happening in your group! Congratulations to the high honor recipients!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:48 am 

Stacy, when I said background piece I didn't mean just inseminating the information, I meant delving into the event. What's it's purpose, if an outside agency is sponsoring the event, discuss them and their involvement with the sea cadets. Also you might do an introduction to each other. Pick a cadet out each month and give their history, that way everyone gets to know each other better. If you have a large group do several a month, you could even group them by ranks. What about an interesting article about some history about the navy: A WWII story, a how did a specific group come to exist (I mean a navy group not yours) Kind a like talking about the Talledega Airman (if you were in the Air Force of course) I'm sure you have stories like that in the Navy (the Blue Knights for example) or give the history of a famous Naval personnel, someone who did something really note worthy. It will help them learn the history of the Navy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 am 

NCAlyce wrote:
Stacy, when I said background piece I didn't mean just inseminating the information, I meant delving into the event. What's it's purpose, if an outside agency is sponsoring the event, discuss them and their involvement with the sea cadets. Also you might do an introduction to each other. Pick a cadet out each month and give their history, that way everyone gets to know each other better. If you have a large group do several a month, you could even group them by ranks. What about an interesting article about some history about the navy: A WWII story, a how did a specific group come to exist (I mean a navy group not yours) Kind a like talking about the Talledega Airman (if you were in the Air Force of course) I'm sure you have stories like that in the Navy (the Blue Knights for example) or give the history of a famous Naval personnel, someone who did something really note worthy. It will help them learn the history of the Navy.

Now I understand. I like your ideas, too!