It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Gift ideas for 8 yr old boy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 pm 

Or you could follow our family custom. Take him to the store and let him choose his own gift (you provide parameters such as price, no BB guns, etc) - then save it for the big day. It works well for us, and actually adds to the excitement of receiving the gift.

Last Christmas, all our little one could talk about was the Polly Pockets she was about to receive. When she saw the Priest on Christmas eve (before receiving the gift) that was her BIG news! And, it was a $5. gift - that's a lotta bang for your buck : )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:24 am 

Better than a nerf gun is an Airzooka. Click on the amazon links here and just search for Airzooka. You can hit somebody with a highly noticeable, concentrated puff of air at 20-30 feet. It's way cool. I got one a few years ago for two nephews and everybody at the family New Year's gathering (where we do Christmas so everybody can have their Christmas at "home" before traveling out of state for a big family get together) loved it. I have one at our house and have even used it in the office.

Airzooka. Find it, buy it, give it, use it. Phenomenal. (we had a toy store in our town that had one available as a demo model before we bought our first one - as soon as I tried it I was hooked)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:53 am 

Army suplus store is a great idea. We bought ds an old military flashlight with different colored lenses and a metal ammunition box which is where he kept his toy soldiers for a long time. Now it holds his nerf darts 8-) He loves to go and just look. We went recently because he wanted parascute cord to make bracelets and I didn't think I'd ever get him out of the store.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:01 pm 

His very own toolbox with basic tools/nails/screws to go along with some scrap lumber.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 pm 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
My kids loved the Snap Circuits kit from Timberdoodle. We had the big one that enabled you to make 300 projects. The kids learn how to create electrical circuits following very simple diagrams -- make doorbells ring, propellers fly... all good.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:21 pm 

angiep wrote:
Army suplus store is a great idea. We bought ds an old military flashlight with different colored lenses and a metal ammunition box which is where he kept his toy soldiers for a long time. Now it holds his nerf darts 8-) He loves to go and just look. We went recently because he wanted parascute cord to make bracelets and I didn't think I'd ever get him out of the store.

Angie.. my boys have been trying to get me to take them to the Army surplus store here.. so far I've been able to avoid it, lol! I KNOW that once they go, I'll never get them out of there. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 pm 

There are some old fashioned type toys at Vision Forum, one of our affiliates.

http://www.visionforum.com/browse/categ ... or-boys-2/

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:42 am 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
The throwing knives from VF are pretty cool. My boys threw knives, but we got ours at a local knife shop. The advantage to them is that they are not sharp; they're dull on the sides. The point is "pointy" so it will stick when it's thrown.

For an 8 year old (which is about how old my younger son was when we started) I'd get a bale of hay or two, stand them on end, spray paint a target on it, and let 'er rip. There's an art to throwing, and you have to wiggle/ease the knives out so the point doesn't snap off.

My boys threw into a wooden joist. Then a friend gave them a torso/head target used by the police for training. Good times.

By the way, yes we're "that" family, LOL! You should be here on the Fourth when the fireworks fly! It's all boy over here.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 am 

Sun Paper & Scratch Paper

Lincoln Logs & Farm Animals

Aquarium Lamp

Adventures in Odyssey CDs

Teeny-tiny remote control cars

Binoculars & bird identification books

Drawing supplies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 am 

I second the remote control cars idea - any size. They're a big hit! : )