It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:46 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Gift ideas for 8 yr old boy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:43 pm 

Ds's birthday is in about 3 weeks and I don't know what to get him! I plan on getting him a soccer ball and football to replace the ones he lost last year, but other than that, I don't know. Maybe a game. Maybe some more legos to add to the ones he has.

He keeps saying he wants Bey Blades. I didn't even know what those were until a couple days ago, when the neighbor was showing his to ds.

Are there any things that "every 8 yr old boy should have"? And don't say a BB gun! ;) He already has a fishing pole and plenty of fishing stuff. He has a baseball bat and basketball.

Post subject: Re: Gift ideas for 8 yr old boy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:46 pm 

DS liked these.

http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toys/brands ... 7QodSmcAFA

I think I ordered mine from Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm 

I believe that my nephew was about that age when the ONLY thing he wanted was a matchbox car carrier/organizer.

Some of our boys were very fond of Construx in middle childhood, but they might be pricey new (we were big garage sale fans).

A book like this might appeal. We gave it to a very enthusiastic 8 year old friend a while back. http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Book ... oncoctions

If I think of some more ideas, I might add more later.

Also, any clues to what his current interests are? For instance, an enthusiastic reader might enjoy Hardy Boys mysteries, whereas a non-reader might think that was a horrific gift.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:22 pm 

Nerf Guns. My son (12) still loves nerf guns and has for years. Almost every Christmas he puts the latest greatest Nerf gun on his wish list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm 

I second Nerf guns!

And this play mat linked below, which apparently is not being produced any longer, but if you can find something like it, it is awesome and 4 feet x 6 feet wide. Ds will play trucks/cars on this for hours.

http://amazingproducts.tv/joey-town-play-mat.html

My ds still loves Legos and building blocks too. Cars and trucks too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 pm 

Things my boys loved at that age:

Rope or string of any kind

Little green army men and those little plastic parachute men

Tape of any kind

A board, some nails, and a hammer

A toolbox to put the string, tape army men, nails and hammer :lol: (and some other tools, too....pliars, screwdriver, etc)

A BB gun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A flashlight

Balsa wood airplanes (or those big styrofoam gliders)

Boys are fun to buy for! :D

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:34 pm 

LOL Laurajean you have a good memory, and gosh, how did I forget the army men?! Dd bought him a big box of them that has different colored plastic men for different country armies. He loves those things. You can buy a bag of army men at the dollar store too I think.

Yes tape and flashlights! A crank up flashlight is one of his favorite things. Rope and some carabiner hooks are favorites too. My ds likes to act out anything he sees or hears about.

Dh found ds a little kit to put together a small wood toolbox, like the one on Handy Manny, if you ever saw that on TV, and his own set of a few basic tools. They assembled and painted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:06 pm 

The BEST toy my dc have ever had... (besides Lego, lol nothing beats that)...
There are these small plastic tubes of toy animals. They are ALL kinds of them. Farm animals, sea creatures, fish, insects, birds... They are actually called "Toobs" and they sell them at craft stores now. (We bought ours from the zoo years ago... )
My dc took a box of rocks and sticks.. and these animals, and they would play 'zoo keeper' for hours with them. All day, every day. I still have these toys and my great nephew plays with them now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:47 pm 

The book Backyard Ballistics - and a trip to the store after opening to get some items to start the adventure through the book!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:48 pm 

At 11, my son still plays with his plastic army men, making battles all over the living room, and even outside with the neighbor boys.

Legos and nerf guns are another good idea. Water balloons? They sell them in a tube here with a filling nozzle for your water spiget.

We found some army camo-type tents that don't have poles and our son loves to make tents outsife to play in with it. Army surplus stores have camo netting that's pretty reasonable.

He loved getting some scrap lumber from a neighbor to make his own fort.

Marshmellow guns? You can find the directions online for these and they are VERY reasonable and you use mini marshmellows for the ammunition. Warning: one is NOT enough. Our whole family has one and we have marshmellow wars with them.