It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:18 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Getting rid of the cat? : (
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:52 pm 

I've had my cat for a long time (12 years?) and he's a sweetie and loves to be with me always. BUT, he continues to pee on furniture and in places we're not even finding. We can't let him continue to do this. What do I do with him? I feel like a betrayer even thinking about it. I know he's "just a cat" but he trusts me. :(

Post subject: Re: Getting rid of the cat? : (
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm 

If you crate him at night and nap time, would that solve the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:31 pm 

Possibly, but I just don't know if we can give him any more chances. Dh said the carpet in the "playroom" had to go today. He started ripping it out and guess what we found? Beautiful finished hardwood floors! :o We've only lived here with those ugly carpets for 18 years. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:32 pm 

Dh bro't home a new chair for himself (nearly a loveseat!) and he doesn't want the cat ruining it. I don't even have a sensitive sniffer and I'm about undone by the cat urine odor in the livingroom AND downstairs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:01 pm 

Sis wrote:
I've had my cat for a long time (12 years?) and he's a sweetie and loves to be with me always. BUT, he continues to pee on furniture and in places we're not even finding. We can't let him continue to do this. What do I do with him? I feel like a betrayer even thinking about it. I know he's "just a cat" but he trusts me. :(

Has he always peed a lot, around the house or is this something recent? If it is recent, have you taken it to the vet? He might have a bladder infection. Or, what kind of changes (dramatic) that have happened to have this start happening?

If nothing else, do what Anna suggested. Put it in a crate when you are not around. While this did not work for my cat, many years ago, I have heard of other peoples' cats have this work. Give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 pm 

Oh great. I posted a long reply and now it's not even here. :?
It showed it as posted.

anyhooooooo...
I second Stacy. It could have a problem and needs a vet. He could be pain and can't help himself.
'Going' all over the house is a sign of a cat in distress or ill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:20 pm 

Our cat was doing that when he developed a urinary tract infection. It was easy to treat but the vet also told us we had to give him special urinary tract food to keep it from happening again. There are a couple of dry cat foods that offer the special food and friskies offers a wet variety. Neither method have cost us anymore than regular cat food. He got his urinary tract infection last year and has been fine ever since. I'd at least take him to the vet first and see if anything is going on. Then you can try the other suggestions if the vet tells you there's nothing wrong except his aging process.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 pm 

Perhaps, if there is nothing medically wrong that can be treated, then there maybe someone you know who could give him a good home. I don't like rehoming pets if possible, but we have done so in the past and they are very happy in their new homes. I would not be able to keep an animal in the house that had such problems. May sound harsh, not meaning to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:07 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Perhaps, if there is nothing medically wrong that can be treated, then there maybe someone you know who could give him a good home. I don't like rehoming pets if possible, but we have done so in the past and they are very happy in their new homes. I would not be able to keep an animal in the house that had such problems. May sound harsh, not meaning to be.

When we moved down here 11 years ago, we brought our cat, dog, and parrot. THe cat just started peeing, everywhere. We took it to the vet, no infection. He told us that cats, when moved to a different place, take "action." :( We tried for 6 months, using various methods to try and get him to stop. He would stop, temporarily, and then, start up, again. We finally gave him to the Humane Society. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:42 pm 

Male cats are especially bad about it, too.
Can he go outside? Is there a reason you keep him indoors?