It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Ticks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:53 am 

I really cannot believe how bad the ticks are in our area. We are literally finding them daily. Heaven was bitten 3x by one tick and had the dreaded bulls eye show up on all 3 sites! UGH! We took her to the Dr. and she was put on an antibiotic and they've cleared now. Tonight when they came over little Treyton had a deer tick that had bitten him at the nape of his neck and his dad found one crawling on him. I do have 2 dogs but they've been treated. I suppose we need to treat the lawn but I just hate to add the chemicals. Sigh.....

Post subject: Re: Ticks!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:20 am 

Yikes!! That's scary about the bullseye. Is she out of the woods for lyme or do you have to test her later?
We never had ticks in NM, but here in KY they are horrible! We did treat our lawn and yet we still are finding them on everyone. We leave to go back to NM in a few days and I already plan on giving the dogs another good bath and treatment before taking them to NM. I don't want to take ANY of the sick things with us! YUCK!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Owner

My parents in N AL are having a horrible tick problem also. My mom got eaten up by them and has had a huge reaction with a rash all over her body. They have tested her for both Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme's Disease, but both were negative.
They were bad here till we got flooded and now they've dropped down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:48 pm 

Seems like everyone is getting ticks and that may be the one pest we actually don't have. We just get scorpions and wasps in the house. Anyone want to trade? Haven't had the wasps inside for awhile, but we were finding them in the house almost daily and still haven't figured out how they were getting in.

Haven't had many scorpions lately, either, so I was surprised last week when the kids had one in bed with them! Dd still climbs into bed with ds and in the morning she told me she felt something touching her leg and then ds had it on his stomach! :o He said he threw it off him. How he managed not to get stung in that process is a miracle. I went upstairs to kill it and it was pretty good sized. :evil:

I don't want to spray chemicals, either, but before the baby gets here dh is going to treat the house and lawn for the scorpions. If we weren't going to have a baby in the house, we would probably not even do treatment, but we can't take chances with the baby. So, we'll probably all get cancer or something. What a nice trade off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 pm 

I'll take ticks over scorpions and wasps any day! :o :shock: :o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 pm 

The wasps might be coming in through an air vent. Do you have a fan in your bathroom??
We had a huge nest built up on the outside part of the vent (they got inside the vent because one of the flaps was stuck open).
Then when the fan was turned on, they came inside the house!
We have since closed off the vents with mesh screen so we can still use the fans but nothing can come inside.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 pm 

All the ones we have found were in the living room windows. We have the backdoor with a window in it and one window on each side of the door. All the wasps have either been in the door window or the windows on the side of the door. We would hear a buzzing and check behind the blinds and there would be a wasp. We have checked all around the windows and the door, but can't find an opening.

There was a huge nest way up high under the second story eave, which I think explained why so many were coming in. We finally managed to knock it down and we've only had one wasp come in since then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:29 pm 

They haven't tested her but said the antibiotic would take care of it. They said the bulls eyes was proof enough. I hope so. With her expecting again it worries me more than if she weren't. They caught it really early so I'm hoping and praying it's taken care of!