It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Whooping cough booster?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:29 pm 

I read somewhere that when you have a newborn, you shouldn't let anyone be around the baby unless they have had their whooping cough booster. I've never heard that before and we didn't do that with the kids. So I have to tell my mom, dh's whole family and people at church that they have to have the booster or they can't be around the baby? I know dh and I are current because we received it in the military, but I don't know about our families. My family is pretty anti-doctor, anti-vaccine.

I also read that this is supposed to be a really bad year for whooping cough. What should I do? I thought just making sure sick people weren't around the baby and that everyone washed their hands before holding the baby was enough. I might be able to get our families to get updated even though they will not take kindly to that at all, but I don't have that power over other people, like at church.

Post subject: Re: Whooping cough booster?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Owner

The "bad year" for whooping cough is TWENTY cases in all of Florida (about 11 million people in this state last time I looked.) So, I don't think I'd get too worked up about it.
With all I've read, I'd be delaying vaccines for my kids if I were having them now. It's not about kids. It's about pharmaceutical companies making money. :0(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:20 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I read somewhere that when you have a newborn, you shouldn't let anyone be around the baby unless they have had their whooping cough booster. I've never heard that before and we didn't do that with the kids. So I have to tell my mom, dh's whole family and people at church that they have to have the booster or they can't be around the baby? I know dh and I are current because we received it in the military, but I don't know about our families. My family is pretty anti-doctor, anti-vaccine.

I also read that this is supposed to be a really bad year for whooping cough. What should I do? I thought just making sure sick people weren't around the baby and that everyone washed their hands before holding the baby was enough. I might be able to get our families to get updated even though they will not take kindly to that at all, but I don't have that power over other people, like at church.

Agreeing with Martha. The drug companies are out of control with all these vaccinations. It is funny, b/c when my kids were born (16 & 13 years ago), they had the standard immunization shots, but nothing more. I never had anyone use hand sanitizer around my kids, either. Obviously, if someone was sick with a cold or bad cough, I wouldn't allow my kids near them, and they, of course, would not come around, anyways, out of respect. Thinking back to my own childhood, I was rarely sick. Sure, I had the chicken pox, I had the flu maybe 2 or 3 times, and every so often, a bad head cold, but that was it. I had the flu right after my dd was born (she was 6 months old). I got so bad I had to go the emergency room and get a shot in my hip. The medicine was what hurt the most! Since then, I have been healthy, other than the average cold.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:30 pm 

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_news ... -know?lite

This seems like a nice article. It seems likely to me that someone read the last paragraph, which is poorly written, and understood these instructions to be given to people without the booster shot, when it seems more likely to me that the advice is intended for people who are actually sick.

In any case, there is a nice CDC link at the bottom of the page with more info, and also a phone number & email address for questions to CDC.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 pm 

This is the article I read:

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscienc ... ack-in-US/

I've also heard that some hospitals won't let anyone visit the new babies unless they've had a booster. I don't know anyone that's had whooping cough, but I have heard a lot of people say their kids have had it or they know someone who had it and it was very serious. I've heard what it sounds like and it scares me, especially after dd's pneumonia scare.

This baby will definitely be getting his life saving vaccines on time, just like his brother and sister. We have no reason to delay. But he have enough protection until 1 yr old, so I guess that's why they recommend the booster for the adults. Still, I do balk at the idea of all the adults around the baby having to get the booster. I just haven't heard of that until recently, so maybe that is just to make money, like you said. I guess we will just do like we've done before, unless I hear of a lot of cases popping up around us, which I haven't heard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:36 pm 

Anna, thanks for the info! It seems like I have heard this a few times over the past couple years to get the booster, but didn't think much of it until now with the baby coming. I do have to laugh a little, picturing dh telling his mom, "No, mom. You can not see the baby until you go make an appointment with your doctor to get a shot. Oh, and pass it on to the rest of the family. No shots, no baby!" And I laugh even harder at the thought of a friend walking up to see the baby and I yell, "Step away from the baby! Have you had your Pertussis booster?" LOL! I have an over reactive imagination!