It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Homeschool Convention was fun, today......
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:38 pm 

I didn't get any "deals" per say, but I knew I wasn't going to this time, around. I waited until the last minute to get what books I needed, together. I could have bought used, if I started searching earlier. Oh well. I'll re-sell them, next year. :) I did end up buying Teaching Textbooks for Algebra I. We'll see how it goes.

Has anyone had their convention, yet? If so, how did it go?

Post subject: Re: Homeschool Convention was fun, today......
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Owner

I went to the state convention in May. It was OK. It just seemed like there weren't as many vendors or attendees as in years past.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:22 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
I went to the state convention in May. It was OK. It just seemed like there weren't as many vendors or attendees as in years past.

Ours is relatively small compared to Atlanta's...the next closest convention, but there were some booths that I know were shrinking, while other booths, like MUS, really tripled in size.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:45 pm 

They stopped having a big one here. I don't drive to Atlanta!
So we just get a small used book sale and a few, very few, vendors. It's sad really because our convention used to be huge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:17 am 

Our convention (Arkansas) was in May. It is in the town where we live (Searcy), so we're pretty fortunate. We got some good deals at the convention's used book sale (about $150 worth of list price items for $35) and the stuff we had to buy new we got for convention discount and free shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:32 pm 

Horror of horrors, I have learned that the organization that used to put on the Arkansas Homeschool Convention has decided that they are not going to be doing it going forward. Alas, what shall we do?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 pm 

I know the feeling, Scott. When they stopped having a big one here, I was so sad.
Now we have a small used book sale each year but that's it.
It's only for a few hours on one day. I really miss the one we used to have!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:45 pm 

We used to have a huge, 2-day convention here at the GA National fairgrounds. They had a massive used book sale plus TONS of vendors and featured speakers, and an area for younger kids to go and play while the parents shopped and listened to speakers.

Now it is mostly a used book sale. The new vendor section has dwindled to almost nothing, and there are no speakers at all.

I wonder why this is???

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:48 pm 

I haven't been to one yet. Don't know that I'll ever go to one.

Here's what my line of thought has been - please give me your perspective:

I don't know what makes someone an "expert" at homeschooling, or what benefit I would receive from going to hear one speak.

Do they have more kids than other homeschoolers? Do their kids get into better colleges? Did they get an advanced degree in homeschooling? To me one of the beauties of homeschooling is that it is done by amateurs, not so-called experts.

There's lots I can learn from others, but I'd rather do it on a forum like this one, or from books, rather than hearing a speaker (especially since little one isn't particularly into speakers. To be honest, I'm usually not much into speakers either - rather read a book).

And, having to pay to get into a hall to buy stuff has never made economic sense to me. Amazon & such sites are free.

I'd love to hear what you all have gotten out of these conventions, and what benefit I might receive from going to one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 pm 

The one here we didn't have to pay to get into. I guess being in a smaller city helps with that.
I think the vendors paid to be there. They do take a percent of any used books sold for non-members of the group that hosted it.
Also, as for the speakers. I have only attended two .
One was for GA laws and special needs dc. It helped me to understand just what was expected from me legally.
The other was from a family that had been homeschooling a lot longer that I had. I was pretty new to home schooling and I only knew one other family that did it, so getting first hand info from a veteran was a big help. I knew nothing of any forums back then!
I also like to read but sometimes it helps me to have a real-live person to talk to.
NOW.. I'd enjoy going just to be around the group. It's like going to anything where everyone has the same goal. The camaraderie of like minded folks, seeing friends that I only see once a year at the sale, etc.