It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:43 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: How do you reply to an individual post?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 pm 

I can't find a button for that.

Post subject: Re: How do you reply to an individual post?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:30 pm 

Right below the post, and a little to the left are two buttons: New Topic and Reply. Just hit reply.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

LisaTX wrote:
I can't find a button for that.

The "quote" button in the bottom right of each post will reply with context to an individual post, as seen above.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:51 pm 

Oh, ok. I saw the reply button, but it doesn't let you respond to an individual post like on the other board, so I will use the quote button. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:17 pm 

Quote:
... it doesn't let you respond to an individual post like on the other board, so I will use the quote button.

If you want to respond to comments from two or more people, you can click the Reply button and copy-and-paste the comments into the Reply window. Then you can manually enter the quote tags at the beginning and end of each quoted comment. Or you can highlight the first quoted comment, click on the Quote button on the tool bar just above the Reply window, and then do the same for each successive quoted comment. The advantage is not having to do one Reply per quoted comment.

Trust me, if you haven't used a forum SW program like phpBB, vBulletin or UltimateBulletinBoard, you are going to like phpBB. The formatting features (and tags, if you learn to do them manually - I'm old school and do tags manually) are very similar or identical for quite a few different forum SW programs, so what you learn here with phpBB will be usable on other discussion boards. Doing tags manually makes effects like I did above or having quotes within quotes within quotes easier, sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:01 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
... it doesn't let you respond to an individual post like on the other board, so I will use the quote button.

Doing tags manually makes effects like I did above or having quotes within quotes within quotes easier, sometimes.

Whatever do you mean by quotes within quotes withing quotes?

Seriously, everybody should learn how to do tagging like this. If you do, you are halfway to learning HTML/XML and can always make a little side money working with them in the future if need be. They're not really programming but thought of by lots of folks as being difficult and technical and hence knowledge of them makes you more valuable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:33 pm 

Quote:
Seriously, everybody should learn how to do tagging like this. If you do, you are halfway to learning HTML/XML and can always make a little side money working with them in the future if need be. They're not really programming but thought of by lots of folks as being difficult and technical and hence knowledge of them makes you more valuable.

Or if you want to do formatting goodies in really old-style discussion forum SW - such as VegSource - you can do it with html tags, substituting < and > for [ and ].

I know VS was less than hospitable toward Mary (ca. 2000?), but it is really sad to see their HSing boards being such a ghost town.

BTW, I'm sure there are quite a few people who don't recognize me, including people who have been here several years. Some 10+ years ago I was a frequent poster here on HSC. And before and during some of that time I was also a regular on VegSource's HSing board and also on Kaleidoscapes. Our youngest graduated from high school in 2003, and our involvement in HSing started diminishing. The support group we started in 1992 and helped lead for several years is still around and active in Silicon Valley. It's in its 3rd or 4th generation (or more?) of leaders, now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:21 pm 

Hi Pete--YES I do remember you. Mostly from Kaleidoscapes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:23 am 

I am actually having a hard time with this board.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:02 am 

tx stephanie wrote:
I am actually having a hard time with this board.

It will take some getting used to, that is for sure! lol I do love the smilies though!!! :D :) ;)