It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: So, when is everyone starting school?????
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 am 

Or have you been schooling through the summer?

I am thinking we will start after Labor Day, as dh and I are working on so many house projects. I would like to have a few more done before we get back down to business as usual, although we will probably be painting this house from now til Jesus comes!!! :lol:

The schools here start around the first of August....or at least the first week of August. They seem to be starting early this year.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

Post subject: Re: So, when is everyone starting school?????
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:49 am 

DD will start 11th grade in her third year of the Classical Conversations Challenge program on August 7th. They have a 30 week year.

DS will start his 3 year of CC in the Foundations program on August 21st. He will have a 24 week year.

I love the defined breaks we get in CC. That didn't happen for me in all of my years of homeschooling. I was far too slack in getting school done when it needed to be done. Thus school dragged on forever leaving us with a feeling of never having a down time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 am 

Neesa in FL wrote:
DD will start 11th grade in her third year of the Classical Conversations Challenge program on August 7th. They have a 30 week year.

DS will start his 3 year of CC in the Foundations program on August 21st. He will have a 24 week year.

I love the defined breaks we get in CC. That didn't happen for me in all of my years of homeschooling. I was far too slack in getting school done when it needed to be done. Thus school dragged on forever leaving us with a feeling of never having a down time.

My ds starts on Aug. 13th for his Challenge B program. My dd starts Community College on Aug. 27th.

My ds is still finishing up his math from last year. He "hit a brick wall" for a while, and then, picked it back up and is continuing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 am 

We've been doing very light, laid back schooling through the summer. The schools here start Aug 27th, so we will probably officially start back then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 am 

We are doing school-lite for the summer. I am thinking of maybe having a week or two of solid no-school break before the summer is over (much more than that, we would go stir-crazy). Our Church has VBS next week - so may make that part of our summer break (if we get in : )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
We are doing school-lite for the summer. I am thinking of maybe having a week or two of solid no-school break before the summer is over (much more than that, we would go stir-crazy). Our Church has VBS next week - so may make that part of our summer break (if we get in : )

I hear ya, Anna! I thrive on routine. It just makes me feel safe and secure. And although DD is enjoying the (too long) break, I do believe she is getting bored, too. Some of the school year activities (piano lessons, co op, etc) are on "vacation" too! And while the neighborhood kids are over occasionally, there aren't kids here every single day. I am not a parent who feels the need to provide daily and constant entertainment and activities for my children. Doing an occasional fun activity is ok....but not continually! She has to find ways to entertain herself.

I will be ready to get back on a more solid routine, although the work of re-doing the house (painting, "fixing-up", de-cluttering, etc) has kept me plenty busy! :lol:

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am 

I'm not sure yet. I just figured out last night what I will use and was SO happy to already have it on hand. " ) We will be doing light math and handwriting work beginning this next week, just to get a jumpstart on that. I may start in August, just to give my son something to do, as he's been off for over a month and is showing signs of being bored. His neighborhood friends go back the first week of August, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:52 am 

This was me and ds this morning, lol.

Me: You need to do your math.

Ds: I want to do it later. I'm bored right now.

Me: If you're bored, then do your math.

Ds: That's boring, too.

This is his last week of math and then he'll be done with his math book and have a little break before starting his next one. We've been so laid back and lazy this summer that all I care about is it getting done sometime during the day, lol. I'm not being strict about when it gets done, just so long as it gets done. But the end of next month, we will be back on a schedule and that will be nice. We've been spending a good part of our days doing what the kids want to do, mostly hanging out at the pool and playing endless games of Uno.

I don't feel the need to entertain them 24/7, either. I was an only child for 10 yrs and managed to have a blast by myself without my parents constantly entertaining me. I figure if I could do it alone, the two of them should be fine. When ds starts laying around complaining about being bored, I tell him I'm going to get rid of all his legos, Lincoln Logs, books, etc. and give them to a kid who will use them and not find them boring. Then he starts playing with them and has fun, lol. Come fall, he should be in Cub Scouts and Co-op.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:12 pm 

I think we're starting Sept. 3 because dh asked that we start earlier this year so we don't go into June so much (I do the planning, but he does the bulk of the homeschooling while I work in the mornings; in June he begins taking care of lawns in addition to his regular job so it's a lot on his plate at that point). If that weren't an issue, we'd start Sept. 17, after the feast of the Exaltation of the Cross (Sept. 14).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:19 pm 

We took off from Memorial Day to July 9th. My plan was to school for 3 weeks and then take off a week while 2 of my girls go to church camp. Well the teens at church had money left after they went to church camp so they planned a trip for this weeks. This is my oldest dd last year in the youth department so we let her go so she will be doing school while her sisters are gone to camp. I am hoping to get everyone on track to take off all summer next year.