It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: L Lysine?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:51 am 

Does anyone know if there is a form of L Lysine that kids can take? The only form I've seen is pills. I want something I can give to ds daily to prevent cold sores. Because of his history of eczema, he occasionally gets an outbreak somewhere other than his mouth (as if the mouth isn't bad enough). He's had one on his arm and most recently, right under his eye. It is way too close to his eye for comfort. I noticed it yesterday morning, put Silver Shield gel on it and a bandaid over it and this morning it is almost gone, but I would like to try to prevent the outbreaks in the first place. I keep hearing people say they take L Lysine every day and they haven't had an outbreak in years. I know my parents had me take it a lot as a kid when I had outbreaks, but I didn't take it every day as a preventative.

For me, as soon as I feel the little spot of warmth like I'm about to get one (usually at night), I put Silver Shield gel on it and in the morning, it's like nothing was ever there. But ds still isn't old enough to tell me early enough for me to do that with him.

Post subject: Re: L Lysine?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 am 

saw this in a lip-balm
http://www.wholefoodscoop.org/shop/prod ... _product=0

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:22 pm 

That's funny because I was looking at the same thing, when I saw you posted this! I am seeing lots of really good reviews for all the Super Lysine Plus products. I think I will get this chapstick and the liquid form to use daily and see how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:46 pm 

You might want to look at the reference book, "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child" (I have a copy here - but I wouldn't blindly follow it - not all of the advice it gives is equally good). Your local health food store probably has a copy of it. There are things you can do besides L-Lysine (which also comes in a creme form).

The oral supplement of L-Lysine is only recommended for kids over 12, so you're right to beware of it.

You can limit foods with L-Arginine right before or during an outbreak
http://www.livestrong.com/article/27589 ... -arginine/

You can give 100 MCG of Folic acid a day during an outbreak.

The book recommends giving a echinacea-goldenseal combination during an outbreak, but I would be very hesitant to give a child goldenseal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:56 pm 

Thank you for that info! I know a lot products have Echinacea in it. That was my parent's go-to for colds/sickness, but the few times I took it, it made me extremely nauseas. I hope I don't have that problem with ds.

I've never heard of L-Arginine or using Folic Acid, so I will have to check that out.