It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Freecycle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm 

I guess the third time's a charm?

I mentioned on the Christmas thread that I've tried to join Freecycle twice and been denied. I just tried one more time and was accepted! Weird!

My first post has to be an offer, not an inquiry. I assume it's like Craigslist, but I've never bought or sold there. Are there etiquette/safety rules I should know? I've heard you can just leave the item on your porch if someone is picking it up. I would feel the most comfortable with that, does that come across as rude? Picking something up makes me a little nervous, too. Dh will probably not always be able to go with me if I am going to pick something up, and even then, I heard of an incident with Craigslist where both a husband and wife went to pick something up and were killed. :o So yeah, I'm a little paranoid, but also excited!

Post subject: Re: Freecycle
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 pm 
Site Owner

I used to use Freecycle all the time in our old area. There are 5000 people on the list and about 10 give stuff away, so you find yourself battling for it. I primarily gave stuff and I got 5000 or more responses. LOL. Some of the stories are unreal. People feel that they will be chosen if they spin a better tale.
I recommend getting name and phone # before you tell them your address. I made them call me to get directions.
Just like Craigslist, there are a lot of people who say they will show and don't.
All in all you can get some stuff you may need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 pm 

We've gotten great stuff - cribs, strollers, lots of baby stuff back when we needed it. One was even a LOAN of a family crib - and they trusted us to return it to them : )

Oddly enough, the competition for stuff here doesn't seem to be bad, but people are a lot better about giving than about getting! We've had lots of no-shows for stuff we were giving away, but when we're getting stuff, they've nearly always been there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:38 am 

We've given and received with no problems. We had a few people always wanting everything that was posted, and asking for many, many things and they eventually got called on it by other list members or the moderators. Picking up from your porch is pretty typical, so would not be considered rude. I've always dealt face to face and have met some really nice folk, a few slightly weird ones, but no scary or dangerous ones. Just do what makes you most comfortable. Just don't give your address to the whole group, when you have decided who you want to give your item/items to, then you can go into the other details.

This can be a lot of fun meeting the needs of others or receiving things that you want/need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:25 am 

Our freecycle group used to be quite active, but is almost non-existent now. The Free-Cycle organization changed the format from a yahoo group to some other software. They asked for volunteers to moderate. I volunteered. Then I got paired with some JERK from Singapore to "train me". I have never "met" a ruder person in my life. I quit, and have never been back to the website. I quit getting updates, and I think it is because NO ONE has posted anything. I give things away through my church and Habitat for Humanity, but there are things I just toss rather than go through the work of giving it away. Too Bad.

I will say, that Free-cycle does suggest that for those people uncomfortable giving out their address, meet someone in a busy parking lot, like a grocery store, rather than you own home. And Martha's idea is a good one. Let the one person who will receive the item call for directions--don't post it for the whole world to see.