It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:58 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: OK, it's been a week....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:10 pm 
Site Owner

Tory wrote:
Oh. I hate the brown on the sides <----> ;)

LOL, the brown matches the rest of the website. We'll probably be changing the look of the entire site again though, and then I'll be spending a lot of time changing these colors again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm 

There are always a few kinks in any system and sometimes WE are the ones that have to adjust to the system and not have the system adjust to us...
As always, I really appreciate all you and your family do for us here at HSC.
:D
oh, and for now on, I'll just pretend the brown is this board covered in chocolate!! lol!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Owner

Yes, it is CLEARLY a chocolate board. :0) Choose your favorite type and imagine it along the edges. No licking the screen though!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 pm 

My least favorite thing is the brown borders. My most favorite is the abillity to edit, then I don't look as spelling error foolish. ;) I do like that the folders change colors and now that I know how to make the ones I'm not interested in at the moment change without clicking in, clicking out, I'm very happy!!

The rest for me is just a matter of getting used to things and finding out how it all works.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:01 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
Tory wrote:
Oh. I hate the brown on the sides <----> ;)

LOL, the brown matches the rest of the website. We'll probably be changing the look of the entire site again though, and then I'll be spending a lot of time changing these colors again.

I *love* the brown sides!! But then I have brown walls in my living room. :D

Last edited by Darla on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:04 pm 

The funny thing is, I really like brown, but for some reason this particular shade (or how it appears on my computer at least) is not so pleasing to me. Now make it look like a Hershey
Bar and I might change my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 pm 

I'm loving the board. I actually hated the threaded system. It was visually jarring to me and not always easy to know where the update to the thread was. I always wanted to scroll to the end and then realized there was some additional post in the middle of the thread.

I find my time here is spent much more efficiently. I pull up the page and click View Unread Posts. I scan down to see if there are any updates to a thread I had been reading. If so, I click on the yellow box on the left of the title and it takes me to the most recent post since the last time I read the thread. Once I'm done scanning the threads, then I go back to the index and Mark All Boards Read and start with a clean slate. I don't read every thread here so it's nice to quickly get through what interests me.

I also like being able to tell who started the thread. I could never seem to figure that out just by looking at the new posts page. I could only see who posted last to the thread.

I absolutely love that it's loading faster and the quote feature is fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
Yes, it is CLEARLY a chocolate board. :0) Choose your favorite type and imagine it along the edges. No licking the screen though!

LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 pm 

Neesa in FL wrote:
I'm loving the board. I actually hated the threaded system. It was visually jarring to me and not always easy to know where the update to the thread was. I always wanted to scroll to the end and then realized there was some additional post in the middle of the thread.

I find my time here is spent much more efficiently. I pull up the page and click View Unread Posts. I scan down to see if there are any updates to a thread I had been reading. If so, I click on the yellow box on the left of the title and it takes me to the most recent post since the last time I read the thread. Once I'm done scanning the threads, then I go back to the index and Mark All Boards Read and start with a clean slate. I don't read every thread here so it's nice to quickly get through what interests me.

I also like being able to tell who started the thread. I could never seem to figure that out just by looking at the new posts page. I could only see who posted last to the thread.

I absolutely love that it's loading faster and the quote feature is fantastic.

I'm with Neesa. The only thing that I don't like about this new board is the very top part. The ads and all the other information takes up about a 1/4 of the top. On the old board, you could see the Home Advice section right away and not scroll down. Other than that, I'm loving it. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:09 pm 

Ok, now that I've been doing the "Mark all posts read" thing, that does help a lot. Neesa did point out some good things I hadn't thought about. It was hard on the old board when the thread got real long and you had to try to find where the last comment was. I think that was the only message board I had seen with the threaded system and most of the other ones have it set up this way, with the quote feature. I've just never used it before, but it's not so bad, I'll just have to get used to it.

I didn't have a problem with it loading slow before on a daily basis, only occasionally, so that's not something that I noticed with this new one.