It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: OK, it's been a week....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Owner

What are your thoughts on the new board? Like? Dislike? Better/worse than the other?

Post subject: Re: OK, it's been a week....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 am 

I'm LOVING it! It seems that everyone is chatting more, and I like seeing all the unread updates, not just the ones since midnight yesterday.

There are always a few unpleasant glitches in any change-over (I've had a few typed messages mysteriously disappear) - but to me the advantages far outweigh the glitches.

Thanks for all your hard work on this, Martha.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 am 

Well I don't care for it. I did check with my isp and they aren't blocking anything. I do have another email with the same iso and gets tons of spam and nothings automatically filtered.

I liked it when you could post within the topic to just one of the answers. Sometimes I only ant to follow the answer to the post within the original topic. Unless I am missing something, that can't be done here.

I know this works better overall for you Martha, and I usually do well with change even if I don't like the change, but I probably am he lone disenter. Not being a complainer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 am 

I love it! It's alot easier for me to use and it's faster loading. I love being able to edit! LOL I always have kids climbing on me and I make silly mistakes, but atleast now I can fix it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:09 pm 

I'm not loving it and find that I'm visiting less. To me, its not as visually friendly when I load any one board. What I mean by that is I can't tell with a glance what has changed since the last time I visited. I can't easily tell if there are new posts in a thread, I can't quickly determine the threads I've posted on, etc. I know the clues are there, but it's not obvious. I frequent another board that doesn't have these things either so I'm not I'm really sure why this format doesn't work as well. I agree with Stephanie about not being able to reply to one strand of a thread. Often one thread will branch off into different topics and that was easier to follow on the old board. I agree that it's nice we can edit again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:21 pm 

Darla pretty much listed the same problems I'm having with it. I love being able to edit, but other than that I'm kind of in between and like Darla said, it's a little hard for me to tell what's new and what's going on at a glance, like I could on the other board. But I am slowly adjusting and it's not enough to keep me away.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:29 pm 

I like that the board uploads quicker but I agree with Darla and Tx Stephanie. I don't like that you can't reply to a reply within the thread and that I can't tell if something new has been posted unless I mark the thread that I'm to be notified. That works nice for a few threads but there are others that I would just like to casually follow plus sometimes a thread gets more interesting based on what responses it gets from others. I do like the increased choices of emoticons and love that we can edit again. I find that I'm not spending as much time perusing the boards and aren't coming as frequently as I once was but I do understand the need for change and am not ready to desert you all just yet :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 pm 

Darla said what I was thinking....only she probably said it better! :D

I especially miss not being able to reply directly to a post within a thread. Your post, that may be a reply to the third post in a thread, ends up all the way at the bottom, and it makes it harder to follow - and even though we can "quote" it still seems harder to follow.

I also miss the feature from the old board, that showed (on the right hand side of the page - and the page that showed all of the boards) not only "who" posted, but it gave the title of the post as well.

This board, like Darla said, is just not as visually appealing to me. Not sure what it is.

I know we needed to change, though - I'm not complaining - I will continue to work with all the changes and do the best I can....just my opinions.

I do like all of the little smilies, though! :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :mrgreen: :roll: :P

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:06 pm 

I've had several posts disappear. Also, I miss the title of the thread and who wrote it showing up. Here you get a yellow sticky showing a new post, but you have to go into the individual boards to see what thread got a new post. It's time consuming.

On the positive... it's MUCH faster for me on this board. MUCH faster. I like the emotiocons, but I miss the birthday ones. NO more boxes of chocolate to give. lol!
There isn't anything here I can't learn to live with. I think in time it'll be fine once I get the hang of things.
Oh. I hate the brown on the sides <----> ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Owner

Well, let me answer a few of these issues. First, this is by nature a flat board rather than a threaded board, so I can't change the ability to reply to one particular part of a thread. HOWEVer, the solution to that is to use the quote button on the post that you want to reply to, instead of the reply box. Then that person will know you are speaking to her/him!

About telling what is new -- The folders on the left change colors. If there are new posts that you haven't read in the thread, the folder will be a tannish color. If there is nothing new, it is gray.
If you have posted in a thread, a little "o" appears on the folder.
Same goes for forums -- if the folder is tannish, there are new posts inside.

So, let me make this suggestion to you. Please go to the main page where all the boards are shown. In the upper right corner, click "Mark all boards read." Then you'll be starting from scratch. Anything after that will turn tannish if something is new.

By the way, you can also mark all the threads on a particular board as having been read also. So, for example, after you've read all the threads of interest on that board, click the "Mark Topics Read" button, and all the other threads will turn gray. Now you'll be able to see only ones that have changed from this point on.

Yes, this board is definitely faster. The old one was dying, and we didn't have a choice about leaving it because it was barely able to load! I hope you all will be patient as you get to know this board. While we have lost the "thread" feature, it does have many more great features waiting to be discovered!