It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:15 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Question for Kindle users
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:27 pm 

Would they be right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:50 pm 
Site Owner

scottbiddle wrote:
laurajean wrote:
scottbiddle wrote:
...in fact, if you go to amazon.com and then go to the kindle books section, they have a link for "free collections" that takes you to a listing of theirs and links to project gutenberg and other free collections. You never know what kind of books you'll find in the Kindle Store. I'd tell you to look for a particular book or author, but I'd probably get slapped. ;)

Slapped by whom, Scott?

Moderators who might think it was blatant (or subtle) self-promotion and trying to advertise on a forum without paying to advertise on a forum.
8-)

Uh, this isn't the place for slapping or self-promotion. We are here to help one another with homeschooling, remember? Let's keep that in mind, OK? Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:05 pm 

Has anyone tried to download books from the library? I went to our small town library and even they offer downloadable books for Kindles. They even have a class you can take to figure out how to do this. I don't own one, but was thinking my daughter's offer to give me her old one may be a nice way to test the techno waters with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:20 pm 

I am interested in this thread also because my mom has talked about getting me one for Christmas.
I'm hesitant mainly because I have no idea how to use one!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:17 pm 

CindyLouWho wrote:
Has anyone tried to download books from the library? I went to our small town library and even they offer downloadable books for Kindles. They even have a class you can take to figure out how to do this. I don't own one, but was thinking my daughter's offer to give me her old one may be a nice way to test the techno waters with.

I believe, Coastal Carol and maybe Kysa, have mentioned that only the Nook, can get books from the library.....but I'm not absolutely sure.

I don't like paying a lot for any of the books I get on my Kindle.

I will only get free books or books that are a couple of dollars.

The price is no cheaper than the "real" book....so I'd rather invest in that, than in the Kindle version.

I've had mine for over a year, and am only now starting to really, use it.

They are convenient though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:19 pm 

CindyLouWho wrote:

Oops, Cindy, I see that your library DOES offer downloads for the Kindle!

That's GREAT!

I would definitely, give it a try.

I'm sure you would find it convenient and relatively, easy to learn!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:49 pm 

Donna/NM wrote:
CindyLouWho wrote:

I believe, Coastal Carol and maybe Kysa, have mentioned that only the Nook, can get books from the library.....but I'm not absolutely sure.

I don't like paying a lot for any of the books I get on my Kindle.

I will only get free books or books that are a couple of dollars.

The price is no cheaper than the "real" book....so I'd rather invest in that, than in the Kindle version.

I've had mine for over a year, and am only now starting to really, use it.

They are convenient though.

I use an iPad but our library is compatible with Kindle now as well. ChristianBook.com is compatible with Kindle Fire I just noticed. It doesn't mention other Kindles. Christian Book always has a good selection of free samples. My iPad has a Kindle app I can use to read Kindle ebooks from Amazon. I have not bought any but have downloaded some of the free classics from Amazon. I LOVE using it to check out library books. I had to go to the next county over and pay a small yearly membership fee because our local one doesn't have ebooks, but it has been well worth it. They have audiobooks too. There is nothing to remember to return or late fees. It goes away from your account when the check out time is up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:52 pm 

While I am not familiar with the details of Kindle--I have Nook--I now the the answer is yes indeed you can download books from Guntenberg.org. Once you go to the website and select a book, there is a whole list of formats. With the Nook, I choose EPUB. I just checked a couple books, and the Kindle format actually says "kindle". I have a Nook color, so I can browse from the device. With the standard Kindle--not Kindle Fire--you may have to download that format to your computer, plug in the Kindle, and transfer the file to the Kindle. But I know you can get the books from Guntenberg.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:55 pm 

Should have read the next page. Yes, many libraries are adding books in Kindle format. You will have ask at your local Library. I DID go to a class about downloading books, and they showed the difference in doing it on Kindle and on a Nook.
What I did not like about the Kindle, which I don't have anyway, was that you have to access the local library via your Amazon account. If you put your name on a list to borrow a kindle book that is currently checked out you WILL get advertising that you can buy said book yourself. I find that annoying. But yes, there are e-books available at most libraries now in kindle format.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
scottbiddle wrote:
laurajean wrote:
...in fact, if you go to amazon.com and then go to the kindle books section, they have a link for "free collections" that takes you to a listing of theirs and links to project gutenberg and other free collections. You never know what kind of books you'll find in the Kindle Store. I'd tell you to look for a particular book or author, but I'd probably get slapped. ;)

Slapped by whom, Scott?

Moderators who might think it was blatant (or subtle) self-promotion and trying to advertise on a forum without paying to advertise on a forum.
8-)

Uh, this isn't the place for slapping or self-promotion. We are here to help one another with homeschooling, remember? Let's keep that in mind, OK? Thank you!

Of course I will keep that in mind. That was why I was making the helpful comments about finding free collections on the Amazon Kindle store. My playful nature led me to make a subtle joke and when asked about it I replied. I sincerely apologize. I am fairly certain that I stayed well within the forum rules. (and if you look at my history of posting on this site and the last, it should be fairly obvious that I am on here because I am a homeschooling dad willing to participate in active discussion with other homeschooling parents on a wide variety of topics)
:shock:

(and our library loans books in Kindle format too, and we're in the middle of nowhere Arkansas where technology is almost a four letter word ('cause most folks can't spell words much longer than that ;) ))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next