It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Question for Kindle users
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 am 
Site Owner

My dd received the "basic" Kindle as a gift. Is there a way that you can put books from Gutenberg.com and other free locations on there? Or do you have to buy books? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Question for Kindle users
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am 

Martha R. wrote:
My dd received the "basic" Kindle as a gift. Is there a way that you can put books from Gutenberg.com and other free locations on there? Or do you have to buy books? Thanks!

I have the Kindle Fire, but I am still not very "KIndle Savvy." Maybe Google?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 am 

I don't have a Kindle, but I have investigated the machine a tiny bit for a young friend who does & who lives abroad. I know that our library "checks out" kindle books to library patrons - it can all be done online without a visit to the library.

I'm pretty sure our young friend has downloaded free texts, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:51 am 

Go here Martha: http://ireaderreview.com/2008/01/18/get ... ur-kindle/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:25 am 

I emailed my young friend with the Kindle - this is what she emailed back. (She also suggested I email her Dad if we need more help : )

"About the books, there are better ways, and cheaper ways to get books than from Amazon, but normally I ask my dad to download them, he puts them on a USB stick, and I just drag and drop into the Kindle (it needs to be connected with its USB port to the computer, and its just like how you put PDF files on the Kindle)."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 pm 

Amazon has a thing in the Kindle store where you can get a whole ton of free books (classics, mostly out of copyright). They also have a program for authors who publish via Kindle Direct Publishing to be "Kindle Select" authors and those authors put their books out there for free five days every quarter to increase readership.

As a separate but related note, I have heard some folks say that 99 cents is a good price point for eBooks because everybody feels "Yeah, I'll take a chance for a buck" but other folks say 2.99 is a better price point because they don't feel there's any chance of finding something decent for 99 cents. Anybody have any opinions on the ideal price point for eBooks?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:20 pm 

...in fact, if you go to amazon.com and then go to the kindle books section, they have a link for "free collections" that takes you to a listing of theirs and links to project gutenberg and other free collections. You never know what kind of books you'll find in the Kindle Store. I'd tell you to look for a particular book or author, but I'd probably get slapped. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:51 am 

scottbiddle wrote:
Amazon has a thing in the Kindle store where you can get a whole ton of free books (classics, mostly out of copyright). They also have a program for authors who publish via Kindle Direct Publishing to be "Kindle Select" authors and those authors put their books out there for free five days every quarter to increase readership.

As a separate but related note, I have heard some folks say that 99 cents is a good price point for eBooks because everybody feels "Yeah, I'll take a chance for a buck" but other folks say 2.99 is a better price point because they don't feel there's any chance of finding something decent for 99 cents. Anybody have any opinions on the ideal price point for eBooks?

I personally think $1.99 is a good price point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 am 

scottbiddle wrote:
...in fact, if you go to amazon.com and then go to the kindle books section, they have a link for "free collections" that takes you to a listing of theirs and links to project gutenberg and other free collections. You never know what kind of books you'll find in the Kindle Store. I'd tell you to look for a particular book or author, but I'd probably get slapped. ;)

Slapped by whom, Scott?

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 pm 

laurajean wrote:
scottbiddle wrote:

Slapped by whom, Scott?

Moderators who might think it was blatant (or subtle) self-promotion and trying to advertise on a forum without paying to advertise on a forum.
8-)