It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: What will be your legacy when you are gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Owner

This is a terrific article by Gary North, a Christian economist, who is getting up there in age.
http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1164.html

He asks what will be your legacy when you die, and suggests that you think about what speech you would make on your 70th birthday outlining your life's accomplishments.

Take a look at what he has to say, and then would you share some part of your desired legacy (even if you still need to do a bunch of work to get it done by 70!)?

Post subject: Re: What will be your legacy when you are gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:25 am 

Great article - especially for young people! I may send it to one of our boys who is just finding his way professionally.

My Great-Grandfather who died long before I was born left a will when he died. Whatever material assets may have been there were long gone by the time I was born, I assume. But the first page of the will described his most valuable asset to pass on to his family - the one he most wanted them to possess & cherish - his Christian Faith. We still have that page - lots of copies in the family to treasure our "inheritance."

Likewise, one of our most treasured mementos of Mom is the 10 page letter she wrote about heaven - filled with Bibilical quotes & passages. It is being read & re-read.

If I pass any legacy to the next generation, I pray it will be the one that was handed on to me, preserved & increased.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:29 pm 

My legacy that I hope people are talking about on my 70th birthday? (or more likely my eulogy)

"He was a wonderful Christian, father, husband, etc. He was instant in season and out of season, always preaching the truth in love. His work with our local sports programs influenced thousands of children in a positive way for decades. He worked hard to keep our local government transparent and to hold our local politicians accountable. His series of children's books, The Vergrinn War series, stands second only to the Chronicles of Narnia as an allegory of Christianity for all ages."

There's not one thing there that I'm not actively working towards today.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
This is a terrific article by Gary North, a Christian economist, who is getting up there in age.
http://lewrockwell.com/north/north1164.html

He asks what will be your legacy when you die, and suggests that you think about what speech you would make on your 70th birthday outlining your life's accomplishments.

Take a look at what he has to say, and then would you share some part of your desired legacy (even if you still need to do a bunch of work to get it done by 70!)?

I need to think on this...but I do want to copy/paste this my Facebook page. It should be interesting to read the results. :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:12 am 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
My legacy will be that I lived Ephesians 2:10 -- "For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." I would like to be known as the person who said "yes" to God first and figured out how to do it later! I have passed that scripture on to my prayer group, which has become a clearinghouse for collected items that benefit many charities and causes in our community.

My second legacy would be my children. If they are living their lives for God, then I will have done my job (they currently are, so I guess I can go at any time now).

And my best legacy: that I tried to approach every day, every challenge, every job with a smile and made something humorous out of it. I would LOVE to have been Erma Bombeck.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:32 pm 

Appropriately, when sorting thru old family papers today, came across a copy of my Great-Grandfather's legacy, written in the preamble to his will:

"I desire to bequeth to my children and their families my testimony to the truth and preciousness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This heritage of Christian faith, received in an unbroken line . . . . is of infinitely more value than any earthly possessions that I hereby bequeath or devise to them. As life's sun sinks toward its setting, I want to say to my dear children and grandchildren in this private document: Hold fast to the faith and fellowship and service of Jesus Christ and His Church. They will make life worth living under any conditions." (Author not known, but expresses my thoughts and desires.) (Signed)