It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Man, people are desperate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:46 pm 

We had a really bad storm last night, really windy and pouring rain with thunder/lightening. We were just about to eat dinner and the doorbell rang. It's almost always someone trying to sell something, but because of the storm I thought it must be a neighbor or something. I got to the door before dh and looked out the peephole and didn't recognize the person. Dh can't not answer the door, so he opened it and it was a guy talking to him in Spanish. Apparently he was driving door to door selling tamales. Dh never passes up tamales and practically ran for his money, lol! I was like, "In the middle of a storm? And this late in the evening? Really?" Dh was like "You gotta do what you gotta do". Lol, whatever. I was annoyed at someone bugging us at our own house just to sell us stinkin' tamales! But dh is happy as can be, lol!

Post subject: Re: Man, people are desperate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 pm 

My husband would feel the same way, Lisa! He loves him some authentic tamales. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:57 pm 

LOL... Come on Lisa, TAMALES!! Who can pass them up? I wish people would knock on MY door with tamales. Instead it would be someone selling chemicals or frozen meat!
By the way, have you ever tried to make tamales? It is a very time consuming process! That's why I'd prefer someone to knock on my door! Before we know it, that will be outlawed as well!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:27 pm 

I did help dh's mom and sisters make tamales once and I don't think I will do it again, lol! But I do love eating them. Actually, it was some really spicy tamales that got me started on eating spicy foods. These tamales were so spicy, my nose was running and I had to chug water with them, but they were so GOOD!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:56 am 

:lol: Lisa, if a Spanish speaking person showed up at my door selling homemade tamales I would so buy them. If we had already eaten I would save them for the next day. At least the guy was doing something productive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:06 am 

I just think it's funny because I thought "Who could possibly be at our door in this storm? It can't be someone selling something!" Lol!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:17 am 

I admire the guy's initiative! He's not letting the so called "unemployment rate" or "bad economy" slow him down!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:29 pm 

When we lived in CO, there was a man who would come to dh's school and sell tacos/burritos that he and his wife made. That's what he did for a living, sell tacos. He sold several different kinds and they were big, so they cost a few dollars each. He made about $350 a day! I told dh we need to start selling tacos!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
When we lived in CO, there was a man who would come to dh's school and sell tacos/burritos that he and his wife made. That's what he did for a living, sell tacos. He sold several different kinds and they were big, so they cost a few dollars each. He made about $350 a day! I told dh we need to start selling tacos!

IIRC, your husband is working in the food industry now. Maybe he's gaining some skills so that he could do that more easily some day! Food trucks are become a big business.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:11 pm 

He had to have been desperate. We just have a bad storm here and I can't imagine going door to door in that!!
However, I would have bought the tamales, lol! I probably would have brought him inside and asked him in my broken Spanish if he was LOCO!! :D