It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Anybody starting to think about Christmas?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:19 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
Shawny wrote:
Well, we have decided it's time to completely change the way we celebrate Christmas. We are instead going to completely focus on Christ. We are even getting rid of our Christmas tree :shock: and almost all of our decorations. I plan on studying up on the Biblical Holy - days and replacing our current more "worldly" traditions. I just LOVE how the Biblical Holydays and feasts all point to Christ and I want my kids to see that.
Besides, last year we had no money for Christmas presents and I thought it was going to be a dreadful day for the kids, but instead we had a BLAST hanging out as a family, cooking together and reading the Word.
So, that is what we are doing this year. I will still buy PJ's and slippers for the kids if I find any I like and we will still have Christmas cookies and dinner.

How do your kids feel about no Christmas tree or do they know yet? I did not want to do a tree at all last year and I don't want to this year, but I think we will this year because my mom will be here and she'll probably want one. Plus, I'm outnumbered by dh and the kids. I didn't think dh cared much about it until I mentioned not doing the tree.

We have eliminated halloween and I talked with the kids about why and ds kind of grasps it, but still doesn't fully understand. We also did without Easter baskets for the first time this year and the kids did not notice or care, lol! It was so nice. The Christmas tree is going to be the hardest. After getting rid of other stuff, the kids have asked over and over if we are still doing the Christmas tree, like they need reassurance. It's sad really, since it has nothing to do with Jesus.

This past Christmas, the kids received WAY less presents than any other Christmas. They only got a few things. Every Christmas, they would still want MORE presents after the tons they already got! This Christmas, they were the most content they've ever been on Christmas. Less really is more. Kids used to only get 1 or 2 presents for Christmas, anyways, before the world went crazy. I'm glad we have downsized our Christmas's. Getting them too much makes it so they will never be content with what they have.

I can't remember if I saw the idea here or not, but one person I do remember built a manger out of wood and put straw in it with a baby doll in it. Then they put a brown cloth of sorts around it and that was their "tree." As they bought presents, they would immediately wrap them and put them around the manger. Oh, and the mom bought a large piece of paper (huge!) and the kids colored and drew a dark night with a star! :idea:

Post subject: Re: Anybody starting to think about Christmas?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:33 am 

LisaTX wrote:
How do your kids feel about no Christmas tree or do they know yet? I did not want to do a tree at all last year and I don't want to this year, but I think we will this year because my mom will be here and she'll probably want one. Plus, I'm outnumbered by dh and the kids. I didn't think dh cared much about it until I mentioned not doing the tree.

We have eliminated halloween and I talked with the kids about why and ds kind of grasps it, but still doesn't fully understand. We also did without Easter baskets for the first time this year and the kids did not notice or care, lol! It was so nice. The Christmas tree is going to be the hardest. After getting rid of other stuff, the kids have asked over and over if we are still doing the Christmas tree, like they need reassurance. It's sad really, since it has nothing to do with Jesus.

This past Christmas, the kids received WAY less presents than any other Christmas. They only got a few things. Every Christmas, they would still want MORE presents after the tons they already got! This Christmas, they were the most content they've ever been on Christmas. Less really is more. Kids used to only get 1 or 2 presents for Christmas, anyways, before the world went crazy. I'm glad we have downsized our Christmas's. Getting them too much makes it so they will never be content with what they have.

Well, honestly it's the older ones I 'thought' I'd have the problem with, but they are also very smart kids, so when we discussed not having a tree last year, they were a little dissapointed, but not too bad. We actually decided to get rid of the tree just a few weeks ago while packing up to move. I told the kids we would be getting rid of the tree and that it's because it doesn't really have anything to do with Jesus anyways, and they agreed! I know they are a little sad not to have the tree to put all the cute ornaments on, but we agreed to figure out a way that they could still hang them up. It's just picture ornaments that they have made over the years.
We have been down scaling for a few years anyways, so I'm sure they saw it coming. They actually prefer we do fun things as a family then get stuff, so I guess we have been doing something right!
Lisa, your kids are young, so although they mifht not completely understand WHY your making these changes, they also probably won't remember any different after a few years. My older 2 out of 6 are the only ones who dressed up for halloween, the older 2 do remember, but are glad we don't anymore and the younger ones don't really care. Same for easter baskets, only the older 2 ever got them and they don't miss them either. Now, if we were to get rid of the food, there would be issues! All of our kids LOVE having big meals for those holidays, and so we will always do that. As for halloween, we used to hand out gospel tracts, but the kids coming to the door scared our younger ones, so now we watch Martin Luther in hiding from the kids outside and we have gone to a small reformation party in the past. It's just another day for us, except we either have to be in hoding or we hove to go somewhere to avoid the door knocking. Even with our lights out, people try to come to the door.