It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:03 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Anybody starting to think about Christmas?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 pm 

And, NO, I have not started to think about Christmas!

But, it reminds me of Mom's Christmas-in-July celebrations when we were kids. She'd get out the Christmas music and play it for us, and we loved it! (I don't recall any celebratory activities other than music, but you could certainly add other things if so inspired)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:54 pm 

For the price of piano lessons, I figured I would rather own our own piano and there are lots of You Tube videos and other programs that teach you how to pay piano, so I would like to do it that way.

I have looked at Craigslist before and they had some good deals on pianos, so that is probably how we will get ours. I have requested to join our local Freecycle group twice and they have denied me both times, so I have given up on that. I wish I could utilize that resource, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:58 pm 

Lisa, try asking the piano player at church or someone in your church if they would do lessons. You might find a person that could use a little extra cash and will do it fairly cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 am 

Christmas presents? Yes. I've been buying already and have a book for each of the kids, as well as an individual present for about half of them I think. Or maybe just a couple. I just keep my eyes open throughout the year and stash the things I buy.

Liturgically? Not at all! We have three or four major feasts yet before then so need to just focus on each one as it comes or it can get overwhelming. Nativity gets a six-week lead-in, though, beginning Nov. 15, so it will get its proper due. The Incarnation! What a reason to celebrate. So excited.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am 

Wow, Lisa - I didn't know freecycle turned anyone down! Here it's just like "joining" facebook - you fill out the page and you're on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:37 pm 

I'm taking a quilting class this weekend on how to make coasters out of charm squares. If they turn out nice I'll probably be making those for christmas gifts because they shouldn't take long and should be easy. I already have a lot of charm squares batting and could probably find some backing material from JoAnn's for cheap. I'll need to make about 8 sets. I also have a set of placemats I'm working on right now. Wish I had time to make a quilt for Dh but doubt I will with all that. We'll just have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:38 pm 

Yeah, it's the first group that's denied me. No explanation or anything. All it said is that you have to name the town you live in and say why you want to join (even though that's kind of obvious). So I did what they wanted, but oh well. I may try one more time and if they deny me again, ask what their problem is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:11 pm 

We do our shopping throughout the year. Our three year old is getting a cool train set for Christmas that was something like 60% off at ToysRUs back in March. We have bags and boxes of items in our closet that we add to at after holiday clearance to fill stockings and easter baskets and such. (several of my birthday presents from my wife are already in our closet - I purchased them on clearance and gave them to her to stash away).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:35 pm 

Shawny wrote:
Well, we have decided it's time to completely change the way we celebrate Christmas. We are instead going to completely focus on Christ. We are even getting rid of our Christmas tree :shock: and almost all of our decorations. I plan on studying up on the Biblical Holy - days and replacing our current more "worldly" traditions. I just LOVE how the Biblical Holydays and feasts all point to Christ and I want my kids to see that.
Besides, last year we had no money for Christmas presents and I thought it was going to be a dreadful day for the kids, but instead we had a BLAST hanging out as a family, cooking together and reading the Word.
So, that is what we are doing this year. I will still buy PJ's and slippers for the kids if I find any I like and we will still have Christmas cookies and dinner.

How do your kids feel about no Christmas tree or do they know yet? I did not want to do a tree at all last year and I don't want to this year, but I think we will this year because my mom will be here and she'll probably want one. Plus, I'm outnumbered by dh and the kids. I didn't think dh cared much about it until I mentioned not doing the tree.

We have eliminated halloween and I talked with the kids about why and ds kind of grasps it, but still doesn't fully understand. We also did without Easter baskets for the first time this year and the kids did not notice or care, lol! It was so nice. The Christmas tree is going to be the hardest. After getting rid of other stuff, the kids have asked over and over if we are still doing the Christmas tree, like they need reassurance. It's sad really, since it has nothing to do with Jesus.

This past Christmas, the kids received WAY less presents than any other Christmas. They only got a few things. Every Christmas, they would still want MORE presents after the tons they already got! This Christmas, they were the most content they've ever been on Christmas. Less really is more. Kids used to only get 1 or 2 presents for Christmas, anyways, before the world went crazy. I'm glad we have downsized our Christmas's. Getting them too much makes it so they will never be content with what they have.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:39 pm 

NCAlyce wrote:
I'm taking a quilting class this weekend on how to make coasters out of charm squares. If they turn out nice I'll probably be making those for christmas gifts because they shouldn't take long and should be easy. I already have a lot of charm squares batting and could probably find some backing material from JoAnn's for cheap. I'll need to make about 8 sets. I also have a set of placemats I'm working on right now. Wish I had time to make a quilt for Dh but doubt I will with all that. We'll just have to wait and see.

Alyce, tell us more about these coasters after your class please! That is a great idea. Is there a waterproof layer in there? My dh is awful for leaving glasses to sweat a puddle of water. I'd never heard of charm squares before but I just looked it up. Dd has decided she wants to learn to make a quilt. She got some vintage looking fabric squares.

I used to crochet some gifts but just dont have time to do that right now. These coaster look like they could be made up pretty quickly.