It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: 4th of July plans! ugh
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:06 pm 

We will be handing out a couple thousand bottles of free, ice cold water with other folks from our congregation that day. I'll probably go watch the town's 4th of July parade with my wife and kids and then come back and hand out water from 11 until about 6 when we'll pack up to head to church. We handed out ~1300 bottles our first year, ~1600 bottles our second year, and ~1800 bottles last year. With temps hovering over 100 again this year, we think we'll surpass our previous mark.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm 

Lisa, too many trees here for us to do fireworks.
Scott.. who do you give the water to??
The parade here was also on Saturday. what a mixed up mess. June 30th.. come to the 4th of July parade!! Oh.. wait... it's not the 4th OH! and it's not even JULY!!!
:::eye rolling emotiocon here:::

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 pm 

I'm a regular scrooge when it comes to non-religious holidays. I'm trying to figure out the least we can get by with and still not cheat our little one out of a "normal childhood."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 am 

Hmmmm - seems like a good day to watch Independence Day!

If people in our town set off fireworks, we'll go out and watch some but we're not going into the city to see any. Still don't know when we're leaving for our trip. Could be tomorrow or friday. Guess I should get packing. One thing, I forgot about the P.O. being closed today. (Kinda funny since this is exactly how it was when we got married, but I digress.) We didn't stop our mail yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:58 pm 

A friend invited our family over for an icecream sundae night at their house. Not sure how many other families are coming but it should be some sweet fun. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:08 pm 

Sorry they aren't doing fireworks in your area today. We don't have any in our small town, haven't for 3 years, as the town is having some serious financial issues.

It's raining right now, but later we are supposed to go to the next town to watch fireworks, if it stops. DD and her DH are coming for a bbq before we leave.

It all revolves around the weather. If not maybe we'll hang out and play some games.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:09 pm 
Site Owner

We have a friend over, and oldest ds is home, so it's barbecue and fireworks here!

Post subject: update: 4th of July plans, ugh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:57 pm 

We did have a cook-out afterall. We also purchased fireworks but none that shoot up into the air. Too many trees for me to worry about a fire, so we got only the kind that stay close to the ground, I think 8 ft was the highest one.
We cooked chicken and hamburgers on the grill and had potato salad, fruit arranged to look like the flag, baked beans, butter beans, chips, ice cream, and watermelon.
It was fun. We didn't have the pool but everything else went well.
I feel good because I was able to host a small party and not stress over it. :) That is something I'm really working on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:57 am 

Sounds like you pulled off a great celebration after all, Tory! Way to go!

We took little one to see our town's HUGE fireworks display. She's always been extra-sensitive to noise (even the neonatal nurses commented when she was a newborn). This was the first year I thought we COULD take her. Well, I was wrong. She tried to enjoy it (we lasted 25 minutes!), but we had to leave before it was over.

The highlight of the evening? WE GOT TO RIDE A REAL YELLOW SCHOOLBUS! (shuttle from parking to venue) : ) She's always wanted to ride a yellow schoolbus!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
The highlight of the evening? WE GOT TO RIDE A REAL YELLOW SCHOOLBUS! (shuttle from parking to venue) : ) She's always wanted to ride a yellow schoolbus!

LOL! That reminds me of a trip we took to the zoo when ds was about 4. We thought he would just love it because we all do. NC has a great zoo. Well, he tolerated it but was more than ready to leave. The highlight of his trip to the zoo (in another town so we had spent the night) was stopping by the John Deere tractor store there, it was huge. They let kids climb all over displays inside, had refreshments and everything. That is all he remembers about the trip! Does not remember the zoo at all!