It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: One of my neighbors wants to raise money
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:16 pm 

for the family next door to me whose dh has just been diagnosed with cancer.

She is planning to try to set up a website to do this and also try to do this through the church here locally.

I want to let you all read a part of the email that Mrs Coffey sent to me yesterday (it's her dh that has the cancer)

"Michael had his CT scans at the hospital yesterday and the doctor said it looks like he has some type of lymphoma, but a biopsy will need to be done to see which kind it is. It has spread beyond his lymphatic system to most of his organs and some of his bones. "

Based on what the doctors have told them so far which is the above quote, do any of you know what would be most helpful for them? They have seven children, and Mrs Coffey, is also not healthy she has a very rare heart condition and was just referred to a research type doctor to find out if they can treat her, (her heart speeds up really fast and her blood pressure drops really low, she also passes out a lot)

Her husband has been working but he's missed a lot of days because of being sick, so he does have insurance but I am not sure how much the insurance will cover concerning the cancer.

Her older children know about the diagnoses and are in shock, according to what she said at the end of her letter she sent out an email to I think most everyone on her email list, to let them know about her dh.

Anyway, has anyone here ever tried to raise money for anything like this online or locally and if so what worked best.
(If anyone would like to read the whole letter I can send that in a pm, with the exception of her physical address because I'm not sure she'd like for me to give out her address)

It's not set up yet, but my neighbor who wants to set up a site to raise money for this family sent me a link to something she found online, and I'd like to know if any of you have ever heard of it, and if it so how likely do you think it is to be helpful for them?

This is the link to that site
http://www.giveforward.com/?utm_source= ... fundraiser

Also Connie (thats my friend who wants to start the fund raiser) is planning to put a donation button on several of her websites (she has a blog she maintains for her parents ministry, and also one she started to sell crafts on, then she has one she started to encourage others it's like a devotional type page, and I forget how many others she has)

So anyway, what I'm asking is what is the best and fastest way to raise money to help this family, and the other thing I'm asking is with this cancer already in his organs and some of his bones what is the chances he will survive even with treatment? This has come up very suddenly, and I don't really know a whole lot about cancer, I know that my daddy died with pancreatic cancer, but I wasn't really around him very much, and I only saw him once after he moved to Florida, where he died.

Anyway, sorry to be rambly again today, I really just want to know best how to help them, if you could meet them you'd see they really are a very nice family, and if anyone ever deserved to be helped in any way in my personal opinion of the matter they do. And if I were rich I'd help them lots but since I'm not I can only help them in smaller ways. *Maybe one of these days I'll be rich enough to really be able to help people, :-) thats what I'd like anyways.

Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions I can give to Connie as she sets up something to try to raise money for this family will you please let me know, and also if you know how serious this is will you please pray extra for this family. I'm thinking that when cancer has spread into your organs and bones it's really bad, I hope it is still curable though. At any rate please pray for Connie that God will give her wisdom in how best to proceed, she told me she will be talking with her pastor about trying to raise money for them, and also with a few other people. So hopefully things will work out well.