It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Decluttering Info
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

Location: The O.C. -- 7 miles from D'land, 7 miles from the beach
Hi guys and gals: I posted a long informative post about my decluttering business on Kysa's "I'm a retired homeschooler" thread, then realized I should have just made my own thread! At any rate, if you're interested, head on over to Kysa's and sit back for a good read :D

Post subject: Re: Decluttering Info
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:24 pm 
PAM!!! So good to see you here. Have you considered a blog? You could write articles on decluttering, monetize your blog and have a nice little passive income stream. It's easy and I'd be happy to help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm 

Pam, I LOVED reading your decluttering post! I devoured it :mrgreen: . I am SOOO into decluttering right now. I have gotten rid of TONS of stuff, but still have a ways to go. It feels good. I just love getting rid of stuff. It makes me happy. :D

Go to the frugal living board (or maybe the hobby board! :lol: as I think decluttering is one of my current favorite hobbies) and post all of your good de-cluttering tips for us.

And I'm with Allie....start a blog.

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:39 pm 

Hey Allie! Hey Laurajean! Good to see you girls. Allie, I was just showing off the wall hangings you made me to some new friends the other day. They were super impressed, especially by the handmade tags you put on the back :)

I have a blog that's mostly defunct. I called it "The Part-Time Pioneer" and it was filled with ways to live simply in a modern technological life. However, most of my life depends on technology now, so I've kind of let it go. I'm interested in the money aspect though... I tried google ads, but no one clicked! Any info you can provide is much appreciated. I'm always looking for a way to make a buck.

Laurajean, the key to effective decluttering is to think of who you can bless with what you're pulling out. I NEVER make my clients give anything away, but 100% of them do. I try to place their things in other homes, or with charities. No one likes to perceive that their belongings are "junk" to be left in paper bags outside of Goodwill. However, thrift stores that have programs to benefit others (I use the Salvation Army and Assistance League, myself) are very good choices.

I guess decluttering could be frugral living. It certainly plays into the "pare down, live simply" rule that I think most of us aspire to.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:33 pm 

Good ideas, Pam. I personally don't mind dropping things off at Goodwill...a lot of needy people shop there out of necessity, so I feel like someone, somewhere, is being blessed by a good deal. Sometimes, I can take it to the Habitat for Humanity in a neighboring town. The Baptist association has a "Willing Hands" store here in town. I try to make donations there on a regular basis as well. They have a food bank and give boxes of clothes and food to needy families.

But one of the Goodwill stores in the next town is often on my "route" so I donate regularly. I do like the thought of blessing others with items I no longer need, and I do that as often as I can...when I know there's a need.

I still have lots to do. The house is too big and has too many nooks and crannies that make it even easier to accumulate and "hide" stuff! The more I get rid of, the more I want to get rid of! :lol:

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:55 pm 

Goodwill is far from my house; SA is 1 mile away. Done! There's a "Classic Closet" which is an upgraded Goodwill where I like to shop (they don't take donations there). They get the overflow from Target and sell brand new things! I got the Krueger coffee maker for hubby for Christmas for $50 instead of $100+. Dust Devil vacuum for $25. Brand new comforter for the beds for next to nothing. My son's came with the comforter, two sheets, two pillowcases, two shams, and a dust ruffle for $25!

So while I don't usually donate to Goodwill, I certainly do my shopping there.

I am a retired homeschooler with brilliant beautiful Godly boys who please and surprise me every day. I live with my sweet hubby of 22 years. Life changes all the time, but God has blessed us with the ability to keep our eyes on His prize.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:20 pm 

Goodwill does great work. They help people (like my nephew with Downs' Syndrome) who would otherwise be unemployable become employed - not just in Goodwill stores, but in many other companies. If they're handy to give to, you can feel good about giving to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:31 am 
Pam, I forgot about your blog, lol - you're right, you haven't posted in a long time! I would start a new one devoted to your business. Here's a link to a blog where the guy has done this -
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/

He posts TONS of information on a variety of topics, but has been doing lots about passive income. The work is going to be getting your blog noticed. The way to do that is to comment on all the blogs you can find. [And writing informative articles, lol...can't leave that out.] He makes a good living doing this. Lots of tips on bringing more visitors to your site as well. You have to scroll around to find his articles. He's a new-ager but has some great practical stuff except for that.

I would also suggest getting on pinterest, and doing posts about storage solutions with pictures. When you see something on pinterest [or elsewhere], go to the original source and ask permission to use their picture in your post. Most people are happy to allow that, but do request that you ask! That will get you even more notice. You could have guest bloggers doing posts, as well. Blogging is all about linking up. I've seen blogs that have been around for a few years, and nobody visits - because they don't comment on any other blogs, or link to other blogs. It's like going to a giant party and sitting in the corner.

Let me know if you do this, I'd love to have you do a guest post on my blog about decluttering [quilters are notorious hoarders, lol....the bigger the fabric stash the better!]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm 

Hmmmm... Allie, I may have to PM you for more details. I can understand the commenting on other blogs, but am missing the link to exactly how that makes money. I'll check out Steve's blog and see if I can wrap my head around that.

I do have a Pinterest account and have some storage/organization things on there. Not sure if I need my clients to see all my other stuff, though! I created a Pinterest account for the gardening company I work for under a separate email addy, which is working out well.

I do social networking/PR for the company, so I manage their FB, Pinterest, email, and press releases. I just recently had one of my releases printed nearly verbatim by the local paper! That was pretty cool. Gives me validation and the encouragement to keep on truckin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:26 am 
Pam, it makes money by people clicking on ads, through google adsense. They're really good about gearing the ads to your audience. It sounds like you have a great handle on PR. I'd LOVE a job like that, lol. PM me anytime kiddo, or email me.