It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Vitamix blender
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:03 pm 

Anyone have one or know anything about them? I see they are expensive. I happened to have the TV on today and saw an infomercial for something similar that Montel Williams was pushing. I looked it up and it had bad reviews but I saw the Vitamix and I'm curious about these now. They make an attachment for it that you can use to grind your own grains into flour. I have been wanting a Nutrimill or WonderMill grinder but they are pricey too. It would be nice if this one could be two things in one.

Post subject: Re: Vitamix blender
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:05 pm 

I think the vitamix does a lot of different things, which is why it's so expensive. Everyone seems to love them. I would like one, but will probabbly never get one at the price they're selling them at. I think on their website, they sell refurbished ones that are like new, for cheaper than the price of a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm 

I grew up with one in the house- we had no attachments (don't even know if they were available then). We never used it for anything a blender wouldn't do - it was just an overpriced blender for us.

I know others who love them, but I was happy to give ours away.

I find much more use for my $20. - two cup - food processor (that I got at the thrift store for 2.99.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:08 pm 

My dh has been looking into them as well. He has been on the verge of buying the one Montel Williams recommends but has chickened out. We may end up with one eventually. Friends of ours have a Magic Bullet Blender and love it. They can each whip up their own smoothie in the mornings and take it with them in the container it mixes in. They do tell us that it doesnt do carrots very well. But overall they love how it works.
http://www.buythebullet.com/

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:04 pm 

I have had a Vitamix for a few years with the dry canister that will grind grains. We use it for a lot of things, so it was a good investment for us (happened to catch a special presentation at Sam's Club years ago and snagged it for a good price). I really put the dry canister to use grinding grains and beans.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:35 pm 

Do you have to get the separate one to grind grains? Wonder what the difference is. I'd love to be able to use it for grains and beans.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:03 pm 

I very rarely need to grind grains or beans, but when I do, I use the coffee grinder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:17 am 

coastal Carol wrote:
Do you have to get the separate one to grind grains? Wonder what the difference is. I'd love to be able to use it for grains and beans.

Yes, the dry canister is for grains/dry beans only. It will do 2 cups at a time and takes 1 minute. Very handy for me personally making flours. The instruction manual does state the grains should be frozen. That's not a problem for me as I keep mine in the freezer anyway due to the climate in which I live. Others could just pop theirs in the freezer for a bit beforehand. I put the flour through a sifter when done to get rid of the trace amount that doesn't grind as fine as I'd like.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 am 

coastal Carol wrote:
Anyone have one or know anything about them? I see they are expensive. I happened to have the TV on today and saw an infomercial for something similar that Montel Williams was pushing. I looked it up and it had bad reviews but I saw the Vitamix and I'm curious about these now. They make an attachment for it that you can use to grind your own grains into flour. I have been wanting a Nutrimill or WonderMill grinder but they are pricey too. It would be nice if this one could be two things in one.

QVC seems to be offering the Vitamix as their TSV (today's special value) a few times a year now. I can't recall the price though. I've stumbled upon it while flipping tv channels. I think the s/h was free when it was offered that way. Might be worth checking out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 am 

Thank you, tkdmom, your info has been very helpful!