It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:45 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Free email address help?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:27 pm 

I need to change my email address from the one I'm using now to a new email. I want one that is free so that no matter what carrier I use for online I can still access my email.
I tried a few and they all are requiring a cell phone number. Is that normal now?
I have NO desire to give them a cell phone number....

is there one that doesn't require it or is that just the norm these days to give it?

My ds says it because of all the apps and stuff on the smart phones now and that's why they want/need the number.

ugh. I AM planning to get a galaxy phone and will be using it get online so I guess I have no choice?

any help or advice is welcome.

Yes, Sis, I am planning to upgrade FINALLY!! ;)

Post subject: Re: Free email address help?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:31 am 

Tory wrote:
I need to change my email address from the one I'm using now to a new email. I want one that is free so that no matter what carrier I use for online I can still access my email.
I tried a few and they all are requiring a cell phone number. Is that normal now?
I have NO desire to give them a cell phone number....

is there one that doesn't require it or is that just the norm these days to give it?

My ds says it because of all the apps and stuff on the smart phones now and that's why they want/need the number.

ugh. I AM planning to get a galaxy phone and will be using it get online so I guess I have no choice?

any help or advice is welcome.

I have gmail. Works great. I know, on occasions, they ask to have a cell number to have as a backup way to activate your account. I just push, "no."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:44 pm 

Hmmm the one I was on there wasn't a choice. If you didn't put in the cell phone number, it would go back to that screen with the area highlighted. There was no "no" button to click. :(

I'm trying to remember the ones I was trying. Ds was helping me so I really don't remember which ones he went to. We tried 3 different ones and they all required a cell phone number.

I will look at gmail.
Thanks, Stacy. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:12 pm 

I have gmail and yahoo and I don't think I've ever provided my phone number.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
I have gmail and yahoo and I don't think I've ever provided my phone number.

I also have gmail and yahoo. I like yahoo best. It's still not my "go to" email, tho'. I'm looking for a "cute" email program, tho' ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:01 am 

Yahoo is always asking me to provide a cell number, there is a tiny link on the bottom of the screen that says 'skip for now'. My cell is my emergency phone. Only friends and family have my number. I tell clerk's and yahoo, I don't have a cell. I also was forced to create a gmail acct when dh got me this durn tablet. To get any app, I have to go through Google play, and to play with Google you have to have a gmail acct. I do not use that acct.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:20 pm 

Briva wrote:
Yahoo is always asking me to provide a cell number, there is a tiny link on the bottom of the screen that says 'skip for now'. My cell is my emergency phone. Only friends and family have my number. I tell clerk's and yahoo, I don't have a cell. I also was forced to create a gmail acct when dh got me this durn tablet. To get any app, I have to go through Google play, and to play with Google you have to have a gmail acct. I do not use that acct.

I would say "I don't have a cell phone for that" but I always skip it. I DON'T have a cell phone! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:36 pm 

I've used yahoo as our main e-mail account for years. )If you use Firefox for your browser, you can add AdBlock Plus so you don't see the ads.) If you can't skip putting a cell phone number, can you just put a faux one in? (I usually end our area code and prefix with 1111.) Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:11 pm 

Tory wrote:

When is this going to happen?! I'm so excited for you! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:34 pm 

Sis wrote:
Tory wrote:

When is this going to happen?! I'm so excited for you! 8-)

Not sure but I'm looking and trying to figure it all out. I'm NOT very savvy in this subject so am educating myself.
I'm SO confused!!
:shock: