It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: outdoor fire pit "thingy"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:42 pm 

:D

I have no idea what they are called, lol!
Anyway, I saw on FB where someone shared a photo I think from Pinterest of a firepit made out of an old metal washing machine drum.
I joked that I'd love to have one of them "one day".

Well, NEVER joke with God. :roll:
A few weeks later my washing machine quit!!
My brother took it out of the house and told me he could make that firepit that I've been wanting now, (ha ha.) But the surprising thing is, he actually did it!!

So tonight was the first night of me trying it out and I LOVE it!
I stayed outside for several hours doing yard work and I kept the fire going the entire time. At night it's so pretty to sit and watch.
THe holes provide ventilation and you can see the flames through them and of course, the flames come out of the top too. So relaxing and the weather tonight was perfect for breaking it in.

Post subject: Re: outdoor fire pit "thingy"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: What images I have in my mind! :lol: :lol: :lol: That's awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:28 pm 

Tory wrote:
:D

I have no idea what they are called, lol!
Anyway, I saw on FB where someone shared a photo I think from Pinterest of a firepit made out of an old metal washing machine drum.
I joked that I'd love to have one of them "one day".

Well, NEVER joke with God. :roll:
A few weeks later my washing machine quit!!
My brother took it out of the house and told me he could make that firepit that I've been wanting now, (ha ha.) But the surprising thing is, he actually did it!!

So tonight was the first night of me trying it out and I LOVE it!
I stayed outside for several hours doing yard work and I kept the fire going the entire time. At night it's so pretty to sit and watch.
THe holes provide ventilation and you can see the flames through them and of course, the flames come out of the top too. So relaxing and the weather tonight was perfect for breaking it in.

That is so cool! I just looked it up on Pinterest. What a great idea!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:03 am 

http://www.familyfirepit.com/how-to-gui ... z3YI2TFemP

The following instructions come with a warning about the shot added to the rim of the basin for balance exploding when heated.
http://m.instructables.com/id/A-differe ... hine-drum/

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 pm 

Yeah, Briva. I kind of wondered about that as I was out there standing around it. Wondering "hmm just how much heat can one of these things take?" because the fire got REALLY hot.

One thing I didn't like about it was the way I had to stand directly over it and use a stick to poke down into it to stir up the ashes to keep the fire going. That hot air rises right out the top and it's not like a regular fire where you can poke at it from the sides. So one really does have to be careful about that. I would not have children helping with the fire as in adding things to it or stirring it around to keep it burning.
Otherwise, I really do enjoy it. I'll keep the fire smaller the next time, though. I did add a lot to it and probably shouldn't have for a first time use!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:47 pm 

We were given a store-bought one last year and I really like it. We set it up on our front patio (which is of a larger size and a nicer place to hang out than our backyard) and will sometimes get it going and sit out there. The boys especially love to be out there in the evenings. When we have the kids' friends over once a month (through an event at our parish), we might start 'er up then, too, (if it's colder) and they sit around and enjoy it (my house isn't large enough for everyone to hang out inside, so many hang out outside). We cut back some big trees a couple of years ago so made a ring of logs around it that people can sit on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:56 pm 

Darla, that's a nice idea! I only have the one bench and a few plastic chairs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:58 pm 

I will add that a few years ago we did dig a hole and line it with bricks for a firepit. However, I didn't like the way the fire was down below... harder to get to and harder to add wood to it.
After a few slips and almost falls INTO the fire, I did away with the firepit hole!!