It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:52 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: So how is everyone doing these days?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:36 am 

My mom's doctor recommended to my dad to put her in a nursing home. The time has come. Physically, she can pretty much take care of her self, to a point. Her Dementia is just really making her memory extremely difficult to function on a "sane" level. My dad just needs a break. He is physically going down hill and cannot take care of her, anymore as much as he tries to.

Post subject: Re: So how is everyone doing these days?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:51 am 

Ya know, our family talks about who's going to care for the elderly (which would be US!) when the "time" comes but, we don't think about this aspect of it. We think of being "around" in case of falls or illness or taking care of the bedridden. How impossible would it be for them to care for someone that is dealing with dementia!

It must be difficult for you all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:46 pm 

There are pills for Dementia. I donot know their names but I hear people at church talk about it and maybe some things to help her with her memory. cards, asks what she remembers, her name, children names, city she lives in etc. Just a thought

She has been on medication for this for quite some time. There is no known cure. The meds are supposedly to slow down the Dementia, but my dad and the rest of the family agree that we don't think it is working. At least not for her. We might have started this medical treatment too late.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 pm 

I'm so sorry about your parents, Stacy. It's so hard when they get older. My own dad passed away 12 years ago and my mom was still pretty young then.
She's 67 now and we've hit on the solution of my ds living with her, which has helped tremendously!
However, we all know that the day will come when she'll need more than just someone there at night (ds is gone a lot, doing what young people do, so he isn't home a lot, but at least he's there at night.)
Dementia runs in my mom's family. Many of her sisters have had it before they passed. Mom is showing small signs of things being "not right" but nothing serious yet.
It's a part of life that I dont' like to think about. I can't imagine having my mom like that and then also my dad overwhelmed with the careing of her, too!
Bless your dad! It's got to be so tough to be older AND trying to care for a beloved spouse.
(((Hugs)))
I'll be praying for you all to find the perfect place for your mom to get the best care.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 pm 

Tory wrote:
I'm so sorry about your parents, Stacy. It's so hard when they get older. My own dad passed away 12 years ago and my mom was still pretty young then.
She's 67 now and we've hit on the solution of my ds living with her, which has helped tremendously!
However, we all know that the day will come when she'll need more than just someone there at night (ds is gone a lot, doing what young people do, so he isn't home a lot, but at least he's there at night.)
Dementia runs in my mom's family. Many of her sisters have had it before they passed. Mom is showing small signs of things being "not right" but nothing serious yet.
It's a part of life that I dont' like to think about. I can't imagine having my mom like that and then also my dad overwhelmed with the careing of her, too!
Bless your dad! It's got to be so tough to be older AND trying to care for a beloved spouse.
(((Hugs)))
I'll be praying for you all to find the perfect place for your mom to get the best care.

Thank you, Tory. My mom's mom, I believe, had the same thing. I never met her as she passed away before I was ever "imagined."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:11 am 
Site Owner

I'm so sorry about this situation, Stacy. It's so difficult to deal with these situations. I pray that your dad will be able to work through this with minimal stress.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:01 am 

Martha R. wrote:
I'm so sorry about this situation, Stacy. It's so difficult to deal with these situations. I pray that your dad will be able to work through this with minimal stress.

Thanks, Martha. I just hope we can get her into a nursing home, soon. I know my dad is really stressed trying to keep tabs on her. She keeps walking out the door, and then, it sometimes take him all day to find her. Often times, he has to contact the police to help him find her.